• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is it OK to delete an older catalog in My Pictures on my desktop that I never use

Status
Not open for further replies.

John McKaigney

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic CC 7.3
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi, I mainly work on my laptop and use an external drive for LR storage and backup. All my info is basically now on the Ext Drive. It works great for me. I would prefer to use the same Ext Drive with my Desktop too and try to get by with the ONE CATALOG system many like. Is it ok to delete all the unused files pertaining to Lightroom from My Pictures on my Desktop currently (and taking up space I could use otherwise).

If you are sure you don't use them anymore, then you can obviously delete them.

My concern was that upon installation LR sets up My PIctures on a MAC as the default repository. I worried that upon removal of LR files completely in My PIctures I could inadvertently affect the functionality of the whole program. I plan to go ahead and delete same now and presume LR will function normally when I open up the LRcat file on my External Drive !!

Lightroom only sets up a default catalog in the Pictures/Lightroom folder on first launch after first installation, all other times it should act in accordance with the preferences that you have set. Only if it can't comply with those preferences (e.g. the specified catalog is not available because it's on a disconnected external drive) might it create and open a new catalopg in the default Pictures directory.

Because I have a lot of additional catalogs which I use for specific testing purposes, my Preferences are set to "Always Prompt Me".....so I am always presented with a panel of recently opened catalogs to choose from. If none of them are connected, the list will be empty and LR will wait to be told what to do, i.e. it would not automatically create a new catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back