• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Is it now possible to store Lightroom images on a local drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

switters

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 5.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I was just reviewing this page of Adobe's website, in preparation for migrating my LrC catalog to Lightroom. I came across this passage in the "Local Storage Preferences" section:

"In the Local Storage preferences, you have the option of changing how much of your available disk space Lightroom is allowed to use. Originals are always backed up to the cloud. You have the options to store a copy of all originals and smart previews on your computer’s hard drive as well."

Is this new? I was under the impression that there was no way to store full-resolution copies of images imported into Lightroom on a local device (and, by extension, no way to do local backups).

If this is indeed a new feature, it will make my life easier. I may decide not to use LrC and Lightroom together after all, because my primary reason for doing that was to be able to keep a copy of all of my Lightroom images on a local drive and back them up.

Ever since the Lightroom desktop app was released in 2017 it has always been possible to store a copy of the cloud originals on a local hard drive. However, be aware that the locally stored copies are of the original files, i.e. unedited, with no option to store metadata and edits in XMP as you can with LrClassic. As such, their value as a backup is somewhat limited. But I'm sure many users do use that option, though I'm not clear in what circumstances they would be used. The primary purpose is to allow the traveller to go off the network and carry on working on their images.

Ever since the Lightroom desktop app was released in 2017 it has always been possible to store a copy of the cloud originals on a local hard drive. However, be aware that the locally stored copies are of the original files, i.e. unedited, with no option to store metadata and edits in XMP as you can with LrClassic. As such, their value as a backup is somewhat limited. But I'm sure many users do use that option, though I'm not clear in what circumstances they would be used. The primary purpose is to allow the traveller to go off the network and carry on working on their images.
Ok, thanks. That takes me back to my original plan to use LrC and Lr together. I'll post a separate thread about that.

The primary purpose is to allow the traveller to go off the network and carry on working on their images.
Just confirming that this is equally true if only smart previews are stored locally?
(I understanding that having local originals would mean full size files could be shared, which would be true with only smart previews).

I check that box, for performance reasons on my desktop. On my laptop, which is space constrained, I select individual folders/albums to store locally to be worked when offline or a slow network is anticipated.

Just confirming that this is equally true if only smart previews are stored locally?
(I understanding that having local originals would mean full size files could be shared, which would be true with only smart previews).
If travelling, and off network, you can still use locally stored smart previews for editing, though how effective that might be for very fine detail work is debatable. Similarly, exporting would be limited to the smart preview and to the local device....if you are off network you won't be able to "share" to social media anyway, right?

If travelling, and off network, you can still use locally stored smart previews for editing, though how effective that might be for very fine detail work is debatable. Similarly, exporting would be limited to the smart preview and to the local device....if you are off network you won't be able to "share" to social media anyway, right?
Thanks. Yes my Q about sharing full size was dumb!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back