• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iPhone native camera app or LRm camera app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celeste

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 11.5
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Using the native app I have access to pano, LiveMode, burst etc thatI don't get using LRm (unless I'm missing something). iOS processes the photo (usually doing a pretty job) and I end up with an HEIC file which I add to my LRm library and sync.

OR

shooting with the LRm cam app, I seem to have a few more controls (pro? auto? etc) that I am just learning about. The photos are DNGs which are automaticllay in the library and sync.

Yesterday was the first day I've started experimenting with LRm as we have a trip coming up and I would like to use my iPhone more in conjunction with my 'big' camera. I'm trying to figure out a workflow.

Thanks.

Using the native app I have access to pano, LiveMode, burst etc thatI don't get using LRm (unless I'm missing something). iOS processes the photo (usually doing a pretty job) and I end up with an HEIC file which I add to my LRm library and sync.
…Yesterday was the first day I've started experimenting with LRm as we have a trip coming up and I would like to use my iPhone more in conjunction with my 'big' camera. I'm trying to figure out a workflow.

Thanks.
The iPhone contains an image processor just as Lightoom contains an image processor. They each have unique features available only within the application

The initial image captured is a RAW file (Apple ProRAW) ProRAW is Apple's version of the RAW image format, but it's not a true RAW image. HEIC and JPEG are processed file formats that are the output from Apple’s photo processor. Just as you would note expect to find all feature of Capture one in Lightroom. Don’t expect to find a feature for feature equivalent between Apples photos app and the Lightroom app.

When I travel, I use my iPhone to complement rather than replace my big camera. If I am doing some serious photography, them my “big” camera have more controls and features than a point and shoot iPhone. If I am taking general friends and family photography, then the iPhone is more than adequate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wasn't expecting to find a feature-to-feature equivalent between apps. I'm more just looking for feedback about what those differences might mean. I also use my 'big' camera when the shot really matters.

On another note, the dng imports shows a few of the sliders in the develop module are tweaked on import. I can grab the sliders and move them back to 0, but I can't double-click on say, 'whites' to reset it. That seems odd to me. Again, this was on import - I didn't move the sliders.

See image.

Attachments

• DNG adjustments.jpg
    DNG adjustments.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 81
I wasn't expecting to find a feature-to-feature equivalent between apps. I'm more just looking for feedback about what those differences might mean. I also use my 'big' camera when the shot really matters.

On another note, the dng imports shows a few of the sliders in the develop module are tweaked on import. I can grab the sliders and move them back to 0, but I can't double-click on say, 'whites' to reset it. That seems odd to me. Again, this was on import - I didn't move the sliders.

See image.

Those differences are processes uniquely defined to Apple Photos. You can read on the Apple process used to produce various features. LiveMode is really a short video of rapidly taken single images to produce the motion video. I do not believe that Apple saves the individual images used to produce the LiveMode. HDR is a common process where several photos are taken with different exposures and then combined to create a single High Dynamic Range image. Most software can produce the same or similar HDR image IF you have the original exposures to combine. Apple creates the HDR but tosses the source files once done.

Every image from every camera started off as RAW photosite data. These have to be processed to create RGB pixels The Apple ProRAW images are saved in a DNG container and also include processing instructions so that an RGB image will be rendered as it would have been in the Apple Photos app.

When an image is converted from RAW, some processing is necessary including tone, exposure and WB. I haven’t looked but I think you should be able to reset the Apple DNG to the original neutral settings (Note these won’t be Zero) Since DNG is a container, it can contain RAW photosite data OR RGB pixels. I’m not sure which data is sent to Lightroom on import from and Apple ProRAW file. If it is real RAW photosite data, you have a lot of latitude on making adjustments to things like WB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FWIW, I tend to leave the iOS camera set to HEIC and LR's set to raw in Pro mode (or sometimes HDR/Long Exposure). "Snapshots" get taken with the iOS camera because they're generally good out of the box and I won't bother to edit them much further. Ones I want to take a bit more time over use LR's camera with its full controls and edibility. It's a nice clear definition in my head! They all end up in Lightroom and synced down to my computer together.

LR's DNG's are significantly smaller than ProRaw DNG's because they're true raw data, so that may play into the mix for you too.

FWIW, I tend to leave the iOS camera set to HEIC and LR's set to raw in Pro mode (or sometimes HDR/Long Exposure). "Snapshots" get taken with the iOS camera because they're generally good out of the box and I won't bother to edit them much further. Ones I want to take a bit more time over use LR's camera with its full controls and edibility. It's a nice clear definition in my head! They all end up in Lightroom and synced down to my computer together.

LR's DNG's are significantly smaller than ProRaw DNG's because they're true raw data, so that may play into the mix for you too.

Thank you (everyone).

Good information about file size difference, which leads to...

Next question: how can I tell how much storage I've used in various places? I have the included Adobe storage (basic photography plan). If I understand correctly, photos I take with LR get stored here as DNGs, but are they also stored on the phone? How do I check how full that is?

I know how to check on storage on the phone, but not the Adobe Cloud. I've clearly missed a button or setting somewhere that show me how full it is.

Photos I take with iOS are stored on the phone in the camera app. If I import them to LR on the phone are they then stored twice? And v/v if I export out of LR to the phone how does my storage look?

I guess there is a combination of iCloud storage, Adobe storage, phone storage and then anything I might back up to OneDrive.

Thank you (everyone).

Good information about file size difference, which leads to...

Next question: how can I tell how much storage I've used in various places? I have the included Adobe storage (basic photography plan). If I understand correctly, photos I take with LR get stored here as DNGs, but are they also stored on the phone? How do I check how full that is
It is important to note that Images that originate FROM Lightroom Classic are stored at a reduced size in the Adobe Cloud AND these do not consume ANY of you plane storage limits. Only images originating from a Lightroom mobile device are stored full size and do count against your plan storage.
I know how to check on storage on the phone, but not the Adobe Cloud. I've clearly missed a button or setting somewhere that show me how full it i In the Lightroom app or Lightroom for the web you can check your account storage limits and activity
Photos I take with iOS are stored on the phone in the camera app. If I import them to LR on the phone are they then stored twice? And v/v if I export out of LR to the phone how does my storage look?
Yes. that is what I find it best to use the Camera from the Lightroom app.
I guess there is a combination of iCloud storage, Adobe storage, phone storage and then anything I might back up to OneDrive.
Other cloud storage such as OneDrive tend to be difficult to manage within Lightroom, They are really file distribution services (same file everywhere) and not a true back up with version control. If you delete the file in one place it is deleted on every device
I found iCloud to be incompatible with the Adobe Cloud wrt to image storage. I only want my master photos stored in one place (the Adobe Cloud). As such , I do not use the iCloud Photos storage for any of my devices. Every image on my mobile device is automatically imported into Lightroom and on many devices, I even have removed the photos app to prevent my accidental use of the Photos app to take photos.

How do I check how full that is?

I know how to check on storage on the phone, but not the Adobe Cloud. I've clearly missed a button or setting somewhere that show me how full it is.

To check the amount of Adobe cloud storage currently being used, in the LrMobile's settings menu tap on the "Cloud Storage & Sync" item.

Yes, if you import photos taken with the iOS camera into LrM, they will be copied into the LrM space, thus taking up twice as much local space. However, once they have been synced to the Adobe cloud, the LrM copy becomes eligible for automatic removal (replaced with a smart preview) IF you have the option to "Only download smart previews" checked on that same "Cloud Storage & Sync" tab. You can also use the "Clear Cache" option (on the "Local Storage" tab of the Settings menu), which should remove any eligible originals.

Exporting photos from the LrM app has no effect on your Adobe Cloud storage, but it might affect your phone storage if you export to the Camera Roll.....once exported from LrM, the app has no involvement with the disposition of the exported file.

Thanks Jim and Cletus

It sounds like training myself to use the LR camera on the phone will simplify a lot. If I need a pano or a LiveView, that's the time to use ios.

I really don't have any plans to sync up to Adobe cloud from LR desktop. I really just want to easily integrate photos taken with my phone into my LR desktop catalog.

I really don't have any plans to sync up to Adobe cloud from LR desktop. I really just want to easily integrate photos taken with my phone into my LR desktop catalog.
LR Desktop is the semi-official name for the desktop version of the cloud-centric Lightroom app. I assume you mean Lightroom Classic (or LrC for short), if that's correct you should try to stick to the correct names and save yourself (and others) from some confusion along the way.

Jim - the names have confused me since they split the products; and they changed them again. Yes - you are correct. By LR desktop I mean the non-cloud Lightroom Classic. I don't use the cloud-based service EXCEPT for this discussion using LR mobile on the iPhone.

My experience: I always use LrM Camera, except for Ultra-Wide as this (currently) doesn't work in LrM on iOS 16. It's a known bug, Adobe are 3waiting on Apple as something changed in the OS. So, for UW shots I use the Camera App. Once fixed, I'll just use LrM again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back