• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iPhone images cleanup

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
Hi

My iPhone is almost out of storage and I weant to remove majority of photos.
What happens exactly when I do that?
Will I still see the photos in my Lightroom app, since they have been synched to my cloud space included in the photography plan?

Thommy

Hey Thommy

Let's clarify a couple of details. If you open Lightroom on your phone and tap the cog icon, then go to Local Storage, what does it say there? And have all of the photos safely downloaded into Lightroom Classic on your desktop?

Then we can give you the safest instructions.

Locally stored copies - 0,48 GB
Cached files - 1,48 GB
Free - 2,48 GB

And, yes all my photos are locally stored into my LR Classic desktop

Edit - all non-LR photos and videos are backed up to a separate HD.
But I'm only concerned to be able to see what I currently see in my LR iPhone app.

Thommy

Last edited:
Ok, so Lightroom's not taking up much space, but you can hit the Clear Cache button to clear most of that space.

If you want to remove all of the photos from the cloud, remove them from the All Synced Photographs collection in Classic - but that'll remove them from the cloud too.

You might want to look under iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage to see what's taking up all your space.

And if your iPhone pictures were taken with the native camera app, you'll likely find that a copy of them all still exists in the camera roll (when you import from the camera roll into LRCC the originals in the camera roll are not deleted.....that's the user's responsibility).

Ok, so Lightroom's not taking up much space, but you can hit the Clear Cache button to clear most of that space.

If you want to remove all of the photos from the cloud, remove them from the All Synced Photographs collection in Classic - but that'll remove them from the cloud too.

You might want to look under iOS Settings > General > iPhone Storage to see what's taking up all your space.
I will clear the cache and remove all photos found in my DCIM folden on my iPhone.
I don't want to remove anything from the cloud and still want see my cloud images from my LR iPhone app.

Thommy

And if your iPhone pictures were taken with the native camera app, you'll likely find that a copy of them all still exists in the camera roll (when you import from the camera roll into LRCC the originals in the camera roll are not deleted.....that's the user's responsibility).
You mean LRCC the originals in the LR app camera roll are not deleted?

Thommy

No, what I meant was that if you take photos using the iOS camera, those are stored in the iOS camera roll. If you then import those photos into the LRCC app, the LRCC app copies them into its own app space, so at that point they exist twice on the phone. If you subsequently delete the originals from LRCC (or replace them with much smaller smart previews), the original copy will still exist in the iOS camera roll and has to be managed manually by the user.

It's not an issue if you only use the LRCC's own camera, as that does not store the images in the iOS camera roll, so only one copy exists on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back