• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iPhone backup photos to iCloud necessary if using LR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deekay2308

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 11.3.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
My iCloud storage is getting full mostly due to photos which are backed up to iCloud.
I have all iPhone photos backed up to iCloud AND automatically synced to LR.
I only look at photos taken on my iPhone either on my iPhone or in LR on my desktoop, after they've synced.
Therefore, I assume I don't need to be backing up my iPhone photos to iCloud?

iCloud and Adobe Creative Cloud are two separate things, so no, you do not have to keep a copy of your photos in both.

iCloud Storage is shared for all of your Apple documents and all device including your Mac and including your backups of your mobile devices. Go to iCloud.com , log in and see how much iCloud space is taken up by photos, backups, documents, messages etc. Your iCloud storage can be increased to 50GB for less than $1USD/mo. As Johan has suggested, you do not even need to keep your photos in iCloud unless you want and you do not even need to use the Photos app (especially on the Mac)
Because I have and backup two mobile devices, I have increased my Apple iCloud storage to 50GB I do not use the iPaone camera with the Photos app only with the Lightroom app. On my iMac, I have disabled the Photos app from startup and from automatically syncing local photos to the cloud and vice versa.

Cletus, may I bounce a scenario off of you? (I hope so because here goes!)

Like deekay2308's original question, I, too, am faced with a full iCloud storage. (200GB of 200GB Used.) I use LR on my phone to pull photos from Apple Photos app and I use the native iPhone camera to take pictures. Then I synch LR with LRC on my Mac laptop with the files stored on an external hard drive. The workflow is going well! Also, I backup using Backblaze.

Here's the question: I'm spending the summer in Italy for school and won't be bringing the EHD. What do you think about me increasing my iCloud storage for the summer so that I have the photos backed up while I'm abroad? I should also mention that my Adobe Creative Cloud storage is easily maxed out and I don't want to pay to increase it since I currently have student pricing and increasing it would be very expensive and negate my student pricing.

I'm curious to know more about why you use LR's camera but I'll poke around the boards for that info. The question above is more time-sensitive.

Like deekay2308's original question, I, too, am faced with a full iCloud storage. (200GB of 200GB Used.) I use LR on my phone to pull photos from Apple Photos app and I use the native iPhone camera to take pictures. Then I synch LR with LRC on my Mac laptop with the files stored on an external hard drive. The workflow is going well! Also, I backup using Backblaze.

Here's the question: I'm spending the summer in Italy for school and won't be bringing the EHD. What do you think about me increasing my iCloud storage for the summer so that I have the photos backed up while I'm abroad? I should also mention that my Adobe Creative Cloud storage is easily maxed out and I don't want to pay to increase it since I currently have student pricing and increasing it would be very expensive and negate my student pricing.

I'm curious to know more about why you use LR's camera but I'll poke around the boards for that info. The question above is more time-sensitive.

I do not use iCloud for photos but a temporary increase to cover your travel makes sense. For that same reason, you could increase your Adobe Cloud storage plan to 1TB and store all of your travel photos in the Adobe Cloud where they can automatically sync with Lightroom Classic.

I use Lightroom Camera because I do not want to clog up iCloud with images that are going to sync with the Adobe Cloud and Lightroom.

Lightroom and the Photos app offer the same cloud storage scheme but with a different cloud destination. It simplifies the workflow to only use one scheme for managing photos on your mobile device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds like we should both stop backing up our photos to iCloud...

Sounds like the only reason you need to change your process for Italy is because you're not taking your EHD. Is that because it's too large/heavy? Could you store your images on your laptop while in Italy and then when you get home, transfer them to your EHD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back