• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

iPad Pro Specs Question For LR Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD22

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Hi. I am about to purchase a new iPad Pro 9.7 inch that I will be using for LR Mobile amongst other things. I'm trying to decide whether to get maximum memory (256gb) with wifi only or go with less memory (128gb) and wifi plus cellular. Trying to understand how others are using this.
Thanks,
John

I bought the 128gb wi-fi only iPad. I can tether to my phone so I didn't see the need to get tied into the cost of another data plan. I don't store a lot of images on my iPad, simply editing them while roaming about and then moving them into Lightroom before taking them off the iPad. 128gb seemed adequate for my needs.

If you plan on using the iPad Pro to store image files uploaded from your camera, then you will want the maximum memory.
If your plans are to travel with the device, then you need to think about the availability of WiFi at your destinations. Most hotels, Starbucks, McDonalds provide free WiFi, but in very rugged remote terrain locations, there may not be WiFi OR even cellular service. This Spring I stayed a Big Bend National Park. The Lodge in the Basin had WiFi, but the Basin was a cellular dead spot and I had no phone service until I left the Basin.

If you have a Cell phone with an existing data plan then phone can be used as a personal Hotspot to connect your iPad to the internet. One of the places that I go regularly is my SILs house in the country. It has no internet and no landline phone service. I use my iPhone as a hotspot to connect my laptop. I have used it to connect an iPad too. If you are going to be using the iPad where WiFi is readily available MOST of the time and a cell phone as a WiFi Hotspot is feasible, then buying into a monthly cellular data plan for the iPad may not be practical.

Last edited:
Yep, I do the same as Clee and Bob. I have a data plan on my phone, so I can tether either my iPad or my laptop, so Wifi only is plenty for my iPad. I've never yet regretted buying more storage, but I have (frequently) kicked myself when I've tried to cut cost by buying smaller storage.

Look into an iKlips drive as well to bridge the extra storage. I opted for the 128g wifi only Pro but where I travel, internet is not even an option, let alone cell.
The iKlips will allow you to move files and images from device to device without the necessity of signal. It's great for storing movies on that can be deleted to free up space on the return trip. It's not as eye-wateringly painful to pay for as a 256 Pro and you have a backup as well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back