iPad Pro 12.9

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1209

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom web
Operating System
  1. iOS
I just purchased the 12.9 iPad Pro and was wondering what other members thoughts were on the magic keyboard. I was just wondering if it’s really necessary.

I just purchased the 12.9 iPad Pro and was wondering what other members thoughts were on the magic keyboard. I was just wondering if it’s really necessary.

I have one. And I use my iPadPro with Lightroom.
There are cheaper keyboards, but they are not integrated directly with the iPadPro and do not come with the touchpad.

I had the earlier iPad Pro with a Bluetooth keyboard. When the M1 iPadPro came out I upgraded and I upgraded to the magic keyboard as well.

With a keyboard (either type) the iPadPro is as functional as a MacBook Pro or Mac Book Air.

Of course the difference in the MBP and the iPadPro is the different OS and the apps the run on each. However I can do the same things on either the iPadPro or the iMac.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have one. And I use my iPadPro with Lightroom.
There are cheaper keyboards, but they are not integrated directly with the iPadPro and do not come with the touchpad.

I had the earlier iPad Pro with a Bluetooth keyboard. When the M1 iPadPro came out I upgraded and I upgraded to the magic keyboard as well.

With a keyboard (either type) the iPadPro is as functional as a MacBook Pro or Mac Book Air.

Of course the difference in the MBP and the iPadPro is the different OS and the apps the run on each. However I can do the same things on either the iPadPro or the iMac.

So do the keyboard functions in Lightroom such as the option, command and shift keys function the same as a laptop?

Do you mean special hot key combinations? Yes. I suppose. I hadn’t really thought about it iPadOS has always supported a standard keyboard. Even the onscreen keyboard uses those key combinations.

Do you mean special hot key combinations? Yes. I suppose. I hadn’t really thought about it iPadOS has always supported a standard keyboard. Even the onscreen keyboard uses those key combinations.

I had never tried those combinations on standard iPads in the past. I’ve only done minor editing in Lightroom on iPad and more advanced editing on my iMac or previously MacBook Pro. To my knowledge there’s no way to pull up the integrated keyboard while in Lightroom on iPad. That’s why I was wondering if the external keyboard would function the same as a keyboard on a MacBook Pro or iMac. Example while holding down the option key while setting black point or white point which is the same as pressing on the image on the iPad in Lightroom.

That’s why I was wondering if the external keyboard would function the same as a keyboard on a MacBook Pro or iMac. Example while holding down the option key while setting black point or white point which is the same as pressing on the image on the iPad in Lightroom.
No it doesn't, though it would be useful if it could be be implemented.

No it doesn't, though it would be useful if it could be be implemented.
What Jim is addressing is Lightroom (mobile) functionality, not magic Keyboard functionality. The Magic keyboard (or even the onscreen keyboard) could handle those functions if Lightroom (mobile) did. A feature request to Adobe would help nudge Adobe along in that direction.

What Jim is addressing is Lightroom (mobile) functionality, not magic Keyboard functionality. The Magic keyboard (or even the onscreen keyboard) could handle those functions if Lightroom (mobile) did. A feature request to Adobe would help nudge Adobe along in that direction.
That would certainly be a fantastic addition as well as enabling plugins. Those two features would probably end using classic except for a few circumstances for me. I can do most images in Lightroom as it is providing there isn’t substantial noise. I use topaz Denoise frequently due to shooting a lot of wildlife.

I use topaz Denoise frequently due to shooting a lot of wildlife.
While you are asking for enhancements, you might ask TopazLabs to develop an iPadOS version for their tools. Even if Adobe implemented plugin for their Lightroom mobile app, the third party Plugin also need to run on the iPadOS platform.

While you are asking for enhancements, you might ask TopazLabs to develop an iPadOS version for their tools. Even if Adobe implemented plugin for their Lightroom mobile app, the third party Plugin also need to run on the iPadOS platform.
I agree, it definitely needs to be implemented on both fronts. It’s almost like the iPad is crippled in its capabilities but has so much potential to do so much more at this point. I’m hoping with updates from Apple for the operating system as well as plug-ins and Adobe the user experience can be drastically improved over the next few months or year. I’ve only got to mess around with it a couple hours since getting it but the speed of this 12.9 pro is unbelievable compared to the older generations of iPad.

I bought one exactly for this reason but to be honest I wasn't aware that so many keyboard shortcuts were missing from the mobile/cc version of Lightroom and therefore makes it it a extremely expensive purchase for minimal gain. Ended up selling it after a few months and now I'm getting rid of the iPad too because again I feel the implementation isn't progressed enough.

I bought one exactly for this reason but to be honest I wasn't aware that so many keyboard shortcuts were missing from the mobile/cc version of Lightroom and therefore makes it it a extremely expensive purchase for minimal gain
Keyboard shortcuts are an ancient means that was developed when Word Processors were a prime app on early computers before the Graphical user interface was invented. A keyboardist primarily was generating typed characters and moving the hands from the home keys was frowned upon if not forbidden,
The Mouse was an added feature of the GUI and it required one hand off the keyboard. The implementation of the touch screen (primarily in mobile devices like phone and tablets) relegated the keyboard to pure text apps like word processors and email. "Point and Click" and "Click and Drag" replaced the need for most keyboard short cuts. Keyboard shortcuts have remained mostly as a vestigial homage to the Word Processor to yore. Typing skills have also deteriorated (especially mine) since one hand is constantly in use with the mouse . When using a GUI managing graphical processes, IMO a mouse moving a slider is much more efficient since the keyboard is relegated to the background. A Phone or a tablet does not require a keyboard and therefore keyboard shortcuts are not added but a pressure sensitive pointing device is often used instead.

Keyboard shortcuts are an ancient means that was developed when Word Processors were a prime app on early computers before the Graphical user interface was invented. A keyboardist primarily was generating typed characters and moving the hands from the home keys was frowned upon if not forbidden,
The Mouse was an added feature of the GUI and it required one hand off the keyboard. The implementation of the touch screen (primarily in mobile devices like phone and tablets) relegated the keyboard to pure text apps like word processors and email. "Point and Click" and "Click and Drag" replaced the need for most keyboard short cuts. Keyboard shortcuts have remained mostly as a vestigial homage to the Word Processor to yore. Typing skills have also deteriorated (especially mine) since one hand is constantly in use with the mouse . When using a GUI managing graphical processes, IMO a mouse moving a slider is much more efficient since the keyboard is relegated to the background. A Phone or a tablet does not require a keyboard and therefore keyboard shortcuts are not added but a pressure sensitive pointing device is often used instead.
That’s what I’m thinking as well regarding the keyboard. I’m probably just going to use the case I bought and forego the magic keyboard. I got to use the new iPad for a couple hours yesterday and really like it so far. It’s a tremendous upgrade over the old standard iPad I had in every regard. A lot of people say they like the magic trackpad that comes with the keyboard for the iPad but I’m not sure it’s really necessary but I might change my mind in the future. I also have a spare Apple keyboard and mouse that I used on my MacBook Pro that I could use if I wanted to.

That’s what I’m thinking as well regarding the keyboard. I’m probably just going to use the case I bought and forego the magic keyboard. I got to use the new iPad for a couple hours yesterday and really like it so far. It’s a tremendous upgrade over the old standard iPad I had in every regard. A lot of people say they like the magic trackpad that comes with the keyboard for the iPad but I’m not sure it’s really necessary but I might change my mind in the future. I also have a spare Apple keyboard and mouse that I used on my MacBook Pro that I could use if I wanted to.
I replaced a MBP with my iPadPro. And it was this idea to replace the laptop that attracted me to the tablet. The Magic keyboard track pad keeps my finger prints off the screen. I also got an Apple Pencil but it has not been as useful as I hoped.
I use the iPadPro for email, web browsing, and Lightroom. A lot of other apps are simple special dedicated interfaces to a website on the internet. (a Weather app is an example).

Do you find the trackpad on the magic keyboard useful? It seems like that would be really handy to have.

Yes, I normally use a trackpad with my iMac. So, it was a natural transition for the iPadPro.

Yes, I normally use a trackpad with my iMac. So, it was a natural transition for the iPadPro.

Amazon has like $30 off right now. I might go ahead and purchase one and give it a try and at least it will be easy to return if I don’t like it.

So do the keyboard functions in Lightroom such as the option, command and shift keys function the same as a laptop?
Sort of, but not totally. Those keys can be part of shorcuts, or they can be modifiers (such as Option-drag).

I don’t think Lightroom on iOS uses keys to modify actions; for some things it has other more touch-friendly ways. For example, if you are used to holding Shift or Command to select multiple items on a Mac, in iOS you go into a select mode and then drag through a continuous selection or tap through a discontinuous selection. Or instead of Option-dragging a slider to show a clipping point, you drag while holding down a second finger on the screen.

If you’re talking about those keys as keyboard shortcuts, Lightroom works like other iOS apps where if you are using a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPad, and you hold down the Command key, a screen pops up listing the available shortcuts for the current app.

…wondering what other members thoughts were on the magic keyboard. I was just wondering if it’s really necessary.
I don’t think it’s really necessary, I did not buy it. I decided to save money and use an existing Bluetooth keyboard ($40) with iPad stands I already have. An iPad Pro plus an Apple Pencil plus a Magic Keyboard is a rather large chunk of change.

However, I also think that the more you want to use the iPad as an all-day laptop type of device you carry everywhere, the more you should buy the Magic Keyboard. But I already have a good Mac laptop that I spend a lot more time with.

If we are talking mostly about using Lightroom, I think the iPad is good enough on its own, an Apple Pencil is nice when editing local adjustments and their masks, and the keyboard isn’t really needed for Lightroom itself but comes in handy for doing a lot of typing in other iPad apps.

Amazon has like $30 off right now. I might go ahead and purchase one and give it a try and at least it will be easy to return if I don’t like it.
Nothing wrong with trying it out, especially if you end up loving it!

However, I also think that the more you want to use the iPad as an all-day laptop type of device you carry everywhere, the more you should buy the Magic Keyboard. But I already have a good Mac laptop that I spend a lot more time with.
This is a good assessment. My iMac stays in my office upstairs. My iPadPro floats around downstairs. I got the iPadPro as a replacement for my aging 13" MBP. And once I developed a Lightroom workflow that integrated the iPadPro, I was able to abandon the MBP.

The Magic Keyboard is the cover for the iPadPro, You will need to spend some money on an iPadPro Cover. There are other covers that also integrate a keyboard for the iPadPro. I have three cover/keyboards for the iPadPro. None are as suited as the Magic Keyboard although all work as a basic keyboard and support the iPadPro as a stand in Landscape mode.

At the risk of "too much information", I have three iPadPros. The first was a 3rd Generation 12.9" and got dropped resulting in a cracked screen. I replaced it with a 4th generation. The third generation is still usable but stays in the bathroom for reading material. When the 5th generation came out with the M1 chip, I passed my 4th generation on to my wife. With the 5th generation, I got the Magic Keyboard and it is the only one with a touch pad.

This is a good assessment. My iMac stays in my office upstairs. My iPadPro floats around downstairs. I got the iPadPro as a replacement for my aging 13" MBP. And once I developed a Lightroom workflow that integrated the iPadPro, I was able to abandon the MBP.

The Magic Keyboard is the cover for the iPadPro, You will need to spend some money on an iPadPro Cover. There are other covers that also integrate a keyboard for the iPadPro. I have three cover/keyboards for the iPadPro. None are as suited as the Magic Keyboard although all work as a basic keyboard and support the iPadPro as a stand in Landscape mode.

At the risk of "too much information", I have three iPadPros. The first was a 3rd Generation 12.9" and got dropped resulting in a cracked screen. I replaced it with a 4th generation. The third generation is still usable but stays in the bathroom for reading material. When the 5th generation came out with the M1 chip, I passed my 4th generation on to my wife. With the 5th generation, I got the Magic Keyboard and it is the only one with a touch pad.
You’ve definitely got all bases covered lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back