• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iPad Mini 6: Is it Possible to Backup images directly from card reader to USB drive via Files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidthaler

Reid
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
current
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm looking to advise my students on iPad to Classic workflow. Is it possible to backup images from a card reader to USB drive via Files? I have a USB-C hub with usb A and C ports. The iPad sees the USB-A Sandisk Extreme drive, but not the card reader. Do I just have a cheap hub or is there just not enough power in the iPad USB-C port to power both the card reader and the USB drive?

I'm just thinking of scenarios where someone doesn't have enough space on their iPad, doesn't have reliable or fast internet, but wants to back up images to an external drive.

Thanks,

Reid

I’m thinking the hub is distributing the power. However, if a card reader is the only device on the hub, it should get all of the power.

I have a similar hub. It was a little finicky but it worked. Note this hub was designed for a Macbiik have two USB-C/TB ports for power. And only one USB-C pass through port. Using only one USB-C port for power the other USB-C power was not available for an additional USB-C device

Anker USB C Hub for MacBook, PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port, 100W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, SD and microSD Card Reader https://a.co/d/8r6wlox

You need to use the files app to copy from the card reader to a connected USB Drive. Lightroom mobile can read from the USB Drive or the Camera Card reader but not write to either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m thinking the hub is distributing the power. However, if a card reader is the only device on the hub, it should get all of the power.

I have a similar hub. It was a little finicky but it worked. Note this hub was designed for a Macbiik have two USB-C/TB ports for power. And only one USB-C pass through port. Using only one USB-C port for power the other USB-C power was not available for an additional USB-C device

Anker USB C Hub for MacBook, PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 USB C Port, 100W Power Delivery, 4K HDMI, USB C and 2 USB A Data Ports, SD and microSD Card Reader https://a.co/d/8r6wlox
But that can't be used on an iPad?

My card reader is an Anker dual USB-A/C reader. When I plug the A side into the hub, it sees it, but never the C side.

But that can't be used on an iPad?

My card reader is an Anker dual USB-A/C reader. When I plug the A side into the hub, it sees it, but never the C side.
What do you mean by Dual UAB A/C Card Reader? (Photo or link perhaps?) The Card reader should have one (male) input port of one flavor USB and a several female ports of of cart type slots and USB port(s).

What else might be attached to the hub?

Let me see if I have this scenario correct:
  1. You connect the hub to the iPad Mini6.
  2. You connect the USB-A Sandisk Extreme drive to the Hub
  3. You Connect the Dual Card reader to the hub.
If this much is correct, then you can not copy files from the camera Card to the USB-A Sandisk Extreme drive. The reason is in the iPad Files app. You need to copy the files from the camera card to internal storage first, then copy the files to the USB-A Sandisk Extreme drive. I believe the Files app or iPadOS only expects one device on the USB-C port. (IOW, a Hub does not work with iPadOS. )

Thanks for the clarification. Yes that’s all correct. My thinking is that if someone were using an iPad and we’re running low on storage space that it would be ideal to copy files directly from the reader to a USB drive. But, I guess not this year.

This combo works for me.

1662184867529.jpeg

In this pic, I am copying directly from card to a USB fob. I am using an iPad Pro. Mostly I copy from card to a Samsung T7 ssd. I have no need to supply external power to this config.

I use an app called FE Explorer. I know this setup works for others as well.

However, I have several experiences where using an identical looking hub device (but different brand) does not work and they look exactly the same as the device shown here, so there is something in the hardware build which the iPad cannot deal with. There are similar styles hubs for sale, which appear to have 2 USB C ports, but one of those ports will deliver power only and not data. This info is not on the product packaging. Also, on the internal notes is a disclaimer stating that the hub will not work with 2 drives attached (ie copy direct from drive to drive).

I have no issue copying from card to Samsung T7 ssd, with the setup above. I will post the brand name of this devices later.

I hoped to use this setup with Lr Mobile on my iPad, but gave up on this when I discovered Lr Mobile will not work with external storage connected to an iPad, but is ok to backup cards when travelling.

Ultimately, my purchase of an IPad Pro as a convenient compact travel kit has been a waste of time and money, as I do not trust that I will have enough storage on my 256GB iPad Pro. I have just purchased an M2 MacAir for pending international travel, so I can both backup my cards in the field and use Lr. My iPadPro is relegated to casual browsing and email duties.
I have wasted too much time, effort and money trying to get the iPad Pro to work as a convenient travel tool for my needs, unaware at the time of purchase that I could not use Lr Mobile with external storage.

Thanks for the detailed info. Sorry the iPad didn’t work for you. For me, it worked great when i just went to Bali. I didn’t even think about the possibility of backing up until I thought of it on the road. And my RavPower hub was soooooo slow.

Otherwise, the process of being on the beach, closing the cover as easy as a book, then have all
my images and edits sync to my catalog, without having to import a travel catalog was really ideal.

Sorry it wasn’t ideal for you.

For as long as Apple cripple the external storage options these mobile devices will not achieve their true potential. Not sure if Adobe or Apple are root cause of Lr Mobile external disk restraints. I would have got the smaller iPad air if I had know of the Lr restraints, as my iPad pro M1 is now too heavy, too large and overspecified for my future use as a casual email/ web tool.

I am posting my experience here, as a Lr user and failed to get clarity before I got the iPad Pro M1.

Thanks for those that found devices that work with the iPad(Pro). I have 4 different devices None of which work as a hub on my iPadPro. I was most hopeful with the MPB hub that I bought for my iPadPro It had two USB-C input ports for powering from the dual port MBP. With a USB-C Cable I had hoped to get it to power my card reader and my iDiskk 1TB charger/EHD. It is most like the hub that Jim Wilde describes. When I purchased mine, there were only USB-C Hubs for MacBooks and none dedicated to iPads.

Gnits, I don't think Apple cripples external storage options for iPads. It was not too many iPadOS versions back that Apple started allowing external storage at all. As with the hub that I have and a more recent option that Jim uses, I think the technology is developing rapidly.

I talked to a techie in an Apple dealership re suitable hubs for iPad Pro. I was given a strong recommendation for the Satechi brand.

If you check this link and the product description it outlines specific support for various iPads. I have purchased this myself and can confirm it works, and know it is working with the iPad Pro for a friend currently travelling in Europe.

Link

Cletus, I agree that Apple have progressed use of external storage for iPad /IOS , and do appreciate that, but whatever the combination of Apple and Adobe is needed to get Lr mobile to work with external storage, I am hoping it will progress in the near future.

Thanks for the use info. I figure with a 256 USB drive, I can still back up my file as original NEFs and DNGs with edits. I tend to be a conservative shooter. I figure if that's not enough space, I'm probably shooting too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back