• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

iOS app v8.2.2 released with customizable borders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Pindar

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Mobile v8.2.2
Operating System
  1. iOS
I'm surprised I've not seen anything on this site about this release a few days ago (or have I just missed it somewhere?).

v8.2.2 for iOS (iPhone and iPad) now allows you to add a customisable border around an image before sharing it.

Adding a border (or keyline) has long been a badly needed feature in Lightroom - all versions - but I'm not keen on this implementation. It's only available while exporting, so you can't add it to an image in your Library when you finalise it. So every time you export the image you have to define the border again.

I cannot find this feature in Lightroom 8.2.2 for Android. Either this is an Apple only feature for now, or I'm looking in the wrong place.

I cannot find this feature in Lightroom 8.2.2 for Android. Either this is an Apple only feature for now, or I'm looking in the wrong place.
In the iOS app, while viewing a single image, you tap the Share symbol and then there is a new option at the bottom of the list called "Add border and share...".

It's page 376 in your Edit Like a Pro book @Tim Pindar. It was available as a test feature in December, but only for some people.

It's page 376 in your Edit Like a Pro book @Tim Pindar. It was available as a test feature in December, but only for some people.
OK thanks Victoria. I don't think I was part of that trial, and it only appeared this week.

Off topic, but the chances of a decent solution for borders in Lightroom Classic seem further away now. We'll still have to go to Photoshop and back again, creating a .PSD version of our image, just to add a keyline around it.

the chances of a decent solution for borders in Lightroom Classic seem further away now
Will LR/Mogrify 2 do what you want? If not, you might be able to use ImageMagick directly (perhaps finding a suitable script online) and use ImageMagick directly with Jeffrey Friedl's "Run any command". Indeed, you should be able to use your existing Photoshop process by creating a droplet and using that with "Run any command".

I haven't tried any of this, but you should be able to automate your process.

Off topic, but the chances of a decent solution for borders in Lightroom Classic seem further away now. We'll still have to go to Photoshop and back again, creating a .PSD version of our image, just to add a keyline around it.
I've been using LR/Mogrify 2 for years now. It's a good all-round solution which avoids the need for round-tripping to PS, so it's difficult to imagine Adobe investing resources into LrC when such a plug-in already exists.

Thanks David and Jim. I'll give LR/Mogrify a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back