Interesting Quake Map for Christchurch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, is Christ Church going to fall off into the ocean? Neat map BTW. Most of these seem to be in the 3-4 Mag range. Has there been much damage from the after shocks since the initial 7.1? The geo-scientist in me thinks that Earthquakes can be kinda fun if you and all you cherish are out of harms way. I hope you came through the big one OK.

Here is a link to a real time Earthquake map world wide. You guys are the biggest box on the map.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

A couple of M5+ aftershocks have caused more damage to already weakened structures. We spoke to family down their last night and it has bee a difficult few days as they are continually being shaken and it wears down the old nerves a bit. Many people are have trouble sleeping etc.

I remember the night we had one in the UK. It was many miles from where I was, but I clearly felt it and new exactly what it was; even though I have never felt one before.

It was a mad feeling, compounded by happening late at night. With no one to talk to a quick Google told me what had happened.

[quote author=edgley link=topic=1'964.msg7465'#msg7465' date=1285'8598']
I remember the night we had one in the UK. It was many miles from where I was, but I clearly felt it and new exactly what it was; even though I have never felt one before.
It was a mad feeling, compounded by happening late at night. With no one to talk to a quick Google told me what had happened.
[/quote]

I remember it well, it was centred around Birmingham, I was living in Matlock at the time and it shook the bed and woke us all up. About 2''2 I think it was.....

The biggest one I have felt was centred just 3kms down the valley from me where I live now, the sound was what got me, it was like thunder but with no clouds and then a huge jolt as the ripple came through the ground. I swear you could see it coming like a wave in the earth.

Wow, what was the chance of you being over for that!
Got to love the coincidences that life throws out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back