• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Interesting Photo Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColMac9090

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.0 Camera Raw 12.0
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Just came across an interesting "count" issue.

I removed some images from LR as I wanted to rename the extension. As you can see, the folder then showed a photo count of -1, and a total for that folder and its parent of 3, allowing for the 4 in another folder.

Decided to rename the folder outside LR to see if the error would remain, then synchronised the parent folder. This gave me 4 images in one folder, 13 in another, but a total of 16!

I then did an exit with its normal backup, verify & optimise, and on reopening the count was correct.

Never seen a negative count before tho

lr 1.jpg

lr 2.jpg

Attachments

• lr 3.jpg
    lr 3.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 196
That's why I removed them from Lightroomand renamed them. The question is about the count, nothing to do with naming!

The question is about the count, nothing to do with naming!
You don't know if it's related or not!
If i rename photo.NEF to photo.RAF outside Lightroom perhaps this is exactly what happens. That is what i meant, it is not possible to 'rename' an extension, inside or outside Lightroom. Yes technicaly you can do it but the file can not be used anymore afterwards. Strange things can happen when you do this, like the things you described.

Last edited:
You don't know if it's related or not!

OK I accept I do not know its related, but, the renaming was not a format rename, but simply a change from upper to lower case. The re-naming was in fact a simple one from JPG to jpg.

But the -1 appeared in LR after the images were removed but before they were renamed, and before they were re-imported. So at the point the strange count appeared, all that had happened was that a few images were removed from Lightroom. A normal everyday occurence.

These images were stored on OneDrive. In addition, a copy is always stored locally (managed through OneDrive) on my D: drive.

I've seen that once in a while with a corrupted Helper file that caches the folder counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back