• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.

Installation of LR6 on new laptop

markandrosakent

Lightroom Version
LR6
Operating System
Windows 10
I had to buy a new laptop as the old one packed up.
I had LR6 programme on it, but all the photos were on an external Hard Drive.
I've been able to install LR6 on the new laptop (via the adobe website).
How do I now link lightroom on the new laptop to the photos etc on the external HD?

Thank you

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi and welcome to the Forums!

This post discusses (and you might want to check through the free eBook here about Moving Computers, look in your Downloads tab):

LexS

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Disconnect LR6 from your old mac on the Adobe site, because even it is noit anymore aqvailable on the Adobe site, it still has a maximum of installed apps (I think 5), so that it will not work after a short "trial" time on your new computer.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
If the root folder storing your photos and the folder containing your catalog are both in the same parent folder, opening the catalog is enough, photos files will automatically be relinked.
That's why I recommand this configuration if you are storing the catalog and the photos on the same external drive.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
If the root folder storing your photos and the folder containing your catalog are both in the same parent folder, opening the catalog is enough, photos files will automatically be relinked.
I'm not so sure that's always true when moving computer as the drive letter can change with Windows. But then it is a simple update location at the top level.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I'm not so sure that's always true when moving computer as the drive letter can change with Windows. But then it is a simple update location at the top level.
Yes, it's still true, Paul. Even moving between Windows and Mac requires no relinking in that specific configuration.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes, it's sure. That's because when you open the catalog, that makes LR know the path to the parent folder. Then, since the photo share the same parent folder, their full path is therefore known and updated automatically.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Yes, it's sure. That's because when you open the catalog, that makes LR know the path to the parent folder. Then, since the photo share the same parent folder, their full path is therefore known and updated automatically.
This is how I migrated from being a Windows User to an Mac User. There are two path fields stored in the catalog. 'relativePath'. and 'absolutePath'. The 'absolutePath' will contain a drive letter when on Windows. If the catalog is stored on a different Windows drive, 'relativePath' is not resolvable. However, when the catalog is stored in the same folder path, 'relativePath' is resolvable. and the catalog can "fix" the absolutePath not matter the OS.

Last edited: