• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Install and use of LRC on new MacBook Pro M1 Max - universal app v Intel - confirm not using rosetta2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenkeep

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hello - I just installed the Creative Cloud on a brand new MacBook Pro M1 Max and downloaded LRC. I had already moved my existing LRC catalog and photo files to an external HD from my existing old Mac running catalina and LRC. I understand that there may be a path to download from Adobe either and old Intel version of the App which is run under Rosetta2 on the new Apple Silicon MBP or to down load a "universal " version of the App.

Bottom line - how do I confirm that my new MBP is running LRC via Apple Silicon rather than thru Rosetta2? I just read there is a significant speed difference in the two paths and wouldn't want to use rosetta2 if I dont need to on this new MBP. Any thoughts? Also, under the "universal app" can you run it both ways easily and how to do this ?

Thanks - a bit confusing and most "how to" articles on moving LRC to a new computer dont yet cover this new detail about Apple silicon

The Lightroom App installs the Universal app automatically. Both apps are contained in the App file. In Finder, navigate to the Lightroom Classic app in the Application folder. Right click on the app and choose "Get Info". In the Get Info dialog the Field labeled "Kind" will indicate that it is the Universal App. A little further down, there is a check box labeled "Open using Rosetta." It should be unchecked. Check this Checkbox if you ever want to run the Rosetta compatibility version of LrC.

The Lightroom App installs the Universal app automatically. Both apps are contained in the App file. In Finder, navigate to the Lightroom Classic app in the Application folder. Right click on the app and choose "Get Info". In the Get Info dialog the Field labeled "Kind" will indicate that it is the Universal App. A little further down, there is a check box labeled "Open using Rosetta." It should be unchecked. Check this Checkbox if you ever want to run the Rosetta compatibility version of LrC.
Super helpful! And I assume the same applies for PS. Thanks very much

Also if you go to the CC app and click on LR's ... menu, there's an Open (Intel) option, but all other times it defaults to native code.
2021-11-23_16-34-47.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back