• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! There's new Presets in all versions, Super Resolution on the desktop, new Sharing options and more. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Ingest in Lightroom vs ACR (Photo Downloader) from Canon R5

waddington0

Lightroom Version
CC 10.3 and ACR 13.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have always used Bridge and ACR's Photo Downloader to ingest images from card for MANY years. I set it up to add metadata, AND convert to DNG on- the-fly.
Since buying my Canon R5, Photo Downloader does not
a. Give me thumbnails before downloading
b. Convert to DNG
Lightroom on the other hand STILL does both. I was under the impression Lightroom and ACR had the same engine for importing.
Because I've been doing this for so long I'd prefer to continue using Bridge, ACR (and Photo Downloader) instead of Lightroom.
I always have updated my Adobe products to the latest version, so it's not a version issue.
Has anyone else had this issue?

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have never had the issue!
I do not use Bridge for 'anything' - Lightroom-Classic can do it all and better. (including convert to DNG)
I do not use ACR (independently) - Lightroom-Classic can do it all and better, with a direct link to Photoshop.
Why do you bother with other software when Classic can do it all?

waddington0

I use LR ONLY as a cataloging program.
I like the layout of ACR better. Used it way before LR existed.(Liked it even better the previous version)
I DONT like the way you have to save adjustments every time In LR. (Cnt +S) otherwise it won’t save to the actual file.
I’m quicker at editing hundreds of images in ACR at a time.
Combining multiple layers quickly won’t work in LR
I have my own business, and also work for a large institution and share servers. Catalogues don’t work well across servers.
Besides this issue I have I don’t see any reason to change completely.
(Why did you answer this question If you don’t use Bridge?)

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
(Why did you answer this question If you don’t use Bridge?)
Well, yes, I do use Bridge occasionally, but not for the reasons you are listing.
I have found this forum always helpful, and I thought my reply might be 'helpful'
I like the layout of ACR better
Now that the UI has recently changed in ACR I am surprised at this. The ACR Forum has been full of people complaining about the 'new' UI that now looks like Lightroom-Classic!
save adjustments every time In LR. (Cnt +S)
Might you consider turning on the Lr-Classic Preference to 'Automatically Save Metadata to files' ?
And by using the 'Quick Develop' in Library view, or the 'AutoSync' in the Develop module, you may find that Lr-Classic can do the "editing hundreds of images in ACR at a time" in an easier manner than ACR.
Combining multiple layers quickly won’t work in LR
So Lr-Classic can also 'Open as Layers in Ps' with selected images and two clicks of the mouse.

But now you say you have a business, across servers, etc, which places a different light on a reply to your question.
Sometimes 'change' can be an advantage, and you are welcome to ignore my comments if not found helpful.
Regards,
Robert

waddington0

Thanks for your reply Robert,
No,... I too liked the previous UI in ACR, but don't REALLY want to change at this stage in my career. I've just been FORCED to change accounting programs after 20 years. Ugh
Can you help me find "Automatically Save Metadata to files' ? and does this also mean adjustments as well??
Yep I have seen the auto develop and sync in LR but I already do that in ACR. I'm pretty good with my shortcut keys.
Thanks again.
I've seen many people liking LR for editing, and just as many ACR.
Regards
Pete

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Can you help me find "Automatically Save Metadata to files' ? and does this also mean adjustments as well??
In the Catalog Settings, and 'yes' with the option set!.
2021-06-11 08_47_06-Catalog Settings.jpg

I use the [Ctrl+S] shortcut- when needed (rarely!).