• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Infinite sync loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_3

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I recently uploaded about 4000 new images into my library. Everything synced fine until the last 115 images or so, and everyday it says it's syncing about this many images, and when it gets down to around 11 or so it seems to get stuck, and then the next day I'll see the count at 115 again. meanwhile, the latest collection i made isn't syncing to the cloud either so i have a feeling this is related. any ideas?

It does sound like it's stuck on something. Can you grab a screenshot of Preferences > Lightroom Sync tab with the Sync Activity section opened at the bottom? That might offer some clues.

It does sound like it's stuck on something. Can you grab a screenshot of Preferences > Lightroom Sync tab with the Sync Activity section opened at the bottom? That might offer some clues.
I have been on with Adobe Tech support multiple times to no avail. I've rebuilt my sync data multiple times to no avail. Every time I start the sync it motors along and then after a while (not always at the same count) it literally slows to a CRAWL. To eliminate all variables, I left LR CC on ALL DAY since 7 am to 5 pm with nothing else running in the background, and this is ALL that happened with a 450 mb/s down / 20 mb/s up connection!
1656459555015.png

I have been on with Adobe Tech support multiple times to no avail. I've rebuilt my sync data multiple times to no avail. Every time I start the sync it motors along and then after a while (not always at the same count) it literally slows to a CRAWL. To eliminate all variables, I left LR CC on ALL DAY since 7 am to 5 pm with nothing else running in the background, and this is ALL that happened with a 450 mb/s down / 20 mb/s up connection!
View attachment 18895
I forgot to mention that I have 205k images in my library, so this is not even close to being done. What's weird is that it does seem to make progress but at an EXTREMELY SLOW pace, like maybe 100 photos every 15-30 min!

Rebuilding sync data literally tells it to compare every photo in the cloud against every photo in your catalog so it can take days with that many photos. So I would leave it open and wait for it to sync.

Beyond that, do you have any shared albums that you can't afford to break the links to? Because sometimes it's simplest to empty the cloud (via the web interface > avatar > Account Info > Delete Lightroom Library) and let Classic sync everything up clean.

Thx so much. I unfortunately have hundreds of collections. Do you know if the slowness is just due to the comparisons vs. due to limitations of upload bandwidth? I have a 450 down/20 up connection which ought to be plenty fast unless LR CC is actually uploading full res images which I highly doubt. The good news is that after turning off my time machine backup (which may have been slowing these down), my count went from 136k to 14k. let's see if it finishes this time. the whole thing that started these rebuild attempts was that it was stuck on the last couple and not updating a new sync collection.

Hundreds of collections? Or hundreds of collections that you've given others links for? Only the latter would be an issue, because the links would change when reuploading them.

That's good that the count's changed so well, hopefully it'll complete if you just leave it running.

Ah I misunderstood. Don't have that many shared collections.

The good news is that my sync count is down to tag ends like 18 photos or so but the bad news it that whenever it looks like it's about to finish, the count jumps back to 100+. Seems like it's in some kind of loop again. This is exactly what spurred me to do the rebuilds in the first place.

Oh that’s ok, hold fire, it goes up and down for a while before it completes. I’m not certain exactly what it’s doing when it’s doing that, but it’s normal.

Well, now I'm noticing a bunch of sync errors in the Sync Activity log in OLD folders saying that the issue errors are "Metadata" oriented. Bizarre. I'm going to try to restore from time machine backup those folders to see if it frees up the syncing.
1656595602676.png

Adobe Tech Support said to let the sync happen as long as the folders in the sync details keep changing. it seemed to start in my old folders (1989-1990) and eventually got up to 2017 last night. But this am, it's back to 1997! I'm wondering if this sync will EVER finish?!

Victoria, if I delete lightroom library as you suggest and resync cleanly from scratch, will that take longer or the same time as a rebuild sync data? I'm almost ready for the nuclear option. this has been going on for over a week now.

@mike_3

I too have had many problems with syncing seemingly getting into an endless loop. I restored a few times and syncing seems to settle down for a while but eventually I find that I end up with a small batch that just will not sync - though leaving it on and trying for hours does seem to get there eventually.

I am curious, so do you mind if I ask about your use case for syncing > 200,000 images from Lightroom Classic to the Adobe Cloud? I only have half that and only sync a fraction at a time that I want to have on my iPad for showing people or occasional editing. I cannot image trying to sync my whole catalogue, even though it is halve the size of yours.

Thank you for your help.

LR Mobile has proven to be an amazing solution for what I wanted: to be able to recall any image from any year or major event (which is how I've categorized my library). That's why the sync collection is so massive.

From my countless hours with Adobe tech support this time around, as long as the sync is making progress and not showing errors, leave it on no matter how long it takes. For me, since rebuilding sync data, it took probably 8-9 DAYS. What's deceiving about the reported progress is that once of the big initial sync numbers go down to zero, LR seems to go through a second phase of small-batch syncs that are doing metadata comparisons or something. I could tell it was making progress by the date folders in my library. It does a couple passes sometimes. What I thought was an infinite loop wasn't actually a loop after all, although in the past, I HAVE gotten stuck in a loop which was hanging everything up on a few problem images which I had to delete. Hope that helps!

Ah good. Yes, that sounds about right. They could do with improving the activity reports really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back