• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Incorrect thumbnails displaying on desktop app

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelEvans713

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
  2. iOS
I am really struggling to get this issue resolved. Adobe are setting up support calls and then failing to make them so I have made no progress with this issue since I first reported it to them over 3 months ago.

Some of my albums (Quite a lot of them) are displaying the wrong thumbnails in grid and square view. The correct photo is usually displayed in detail view, but even when I make a change the thumbnail is not corrected.

Even more strange is that in grid view photos that display the correct thumbnail will when the size of the thumbnail is increased change the thumbnail to the wrong image.

I have originals stored locally and in all cases that I have investigated the correct original is stored.

I am at my wits end with Adobe. Support keep telling me that my case is escalated to the senior team, but they are failing to engage with me at all.

The IOS apps on iPhone and iPad are also displaying the wrong thumbnails.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I had this issue on my laptop. I do NOT have store originals checked on it (small disk).
In my case, I just deleted the local cache library and had Lr pull all images down again.

My assumption, was that the preview cache was corrupted; which happened occasionally on Classic. For Classic the solution was to delete the preview cache. So I just applied the logical extension to Lr here. (The local cache is really the equivalent of the preview cache in Classic with the main catalog in the cloud).

I had this issue on my laptop. I do NOT have store originals checked on it (small disk).
In my case, I just deleted the local cache library and had Lr pull all images down again.

My assumption, was that the preview cache was corrupted; which happened occasionally on Classic. For Classic the solution was to delete the preview cache. So I just applied the logical extension to Lr here. (The local cache is really the equivalent of the preview cache in Classic with the main catalog in the cloud).
I tried this at the suggestion of Adobe and it did not work. I have finally managed to pin down support and had a call a couple of days ago. I think it is fair to say that at the moment they are stumped. They have made a video of the issue for internal review and have promised to get back to me in about 48 hours. Allowing for weekends, this is up at the end of today, so I am waiting with baited breath.

Are the thumbnails correct on the web app? If so I would take tspear's suggestion a step further, and sign out on your laptop, and uninstall Lightroom, and sign in again, reinstall and re download everything.

This has turned into a real saga. It is clear that Adobe do not understand what is going on and despite all of the effort Adobe have put in to understand the problem, I have had no updates at all. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that my only option if I want to continue using Adobe will be to reload and re-edit all of the affected photos. In response to mikebore's comments the thumbnails on the web are incorrect. The originals which are stored locally are correct.

The whole thing is very strange and seems to only affect about 3 years worth of my photos. I think it specifically relates to a camera that had to go back for repair at the manufacturer and the counter was reset to zero. The strange thing is that it only affects some photos, but this is still quite a lot of individual shots = maybe a 1,000.

Adobe promised to come back to me within 48 hours and it has now been over a month. No attempts to follow up within the support system have been answered. Calls to support just tend to note that this issue has already been escalated and that someone will get back to me.

All in all, very unimpressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back