IN Camera - sRGB or RGB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurel Austin

I've heard that if you shoot in RGB, your images can look desaturated when coming back printed from the lab. Is the solution to always shoot in sRGB?
Thanks for any help!

If you're shooting raw, then your color space selection in-camera has no effect. (Exception -- most cameras use it to produce the picture on the back of the camera, which is also embedded into the raw file, and is used calculate the histogram displayed on the camera.)

If you're shooting JPEG, then it depends on your lab. If your lab is expecting sRGB, then you'll need to supply them sRGB files.

Is the solution to always shoot in sRGB?
Thanks for any help!

Laurel,

It depends.
If you shoot JPEGs *and* you are not going to mess around extensively with the files in Photoshop, shoot using sRGB and send them directly to print in the lab.
On the other hand, if you are going to do heavy work in Photoshop, use Adobe RGB and them, after finishing your adjustments, *convert* to sRGB and send them to the lab for printing.
I use only raw, and when sending my files to Photoshop from Lightroom (when needed, which is almost never nowadays), it is always in Prophoto RGB and 16 bits.
I hope it helps!
regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back