• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

In addition to export what else is now GPU accelerated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamapalmer34

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Android
I was wondering if any other things light preview generation and dng conversion might be GPU accelerated now. I have a 3060 but if it would help I might upgrade that.

You might find some info straight from Adobe in the Lightroom Classic GPU FAQ. The first paragraph lists what is GPU accelerated at this time. Adobe seems to be expanding that list a little more often now. And a Caution box further down the page lists important limitations of GPU acceleration.

I think it depends on the GPU and your Edit>Preferences>Performance settings.
I have an integrated GPU (iGPU) only. It's an Intel UHD Graphics 770. I'm sure your 3060 is way more powerful. It operates differently with different Edit>Preferences>Performance settings:
1- With Custom>Use GPU for image processing
On importing the iGPU does almost nothing for the three processes of import, processing and 1:1 previews. It operates at no more than about 2%. However, when using either of the two Photo>Enhance features, the GPU operates at 100% and the CPU does almost nothing. Also, when I do edits, the iGPU runs at about 80%. The weird thing is that it seems to keep running in the background for a while even after the edit appears to have been done.
2 - With Auto
The same as above except that when editing, the iGPU does almost nothing. The CPU does all the work but does it at only a few % and much faster.
So, for my set-up, I'm way better off leaving the performance setting at Auto and let the CPU to do the hard lifting.

I expect there'll come a time when newer LrC features will require a discrete GPU. Then I'll get one but for now, It's all quite fast except for the processing at import.

Well, that's interesting. I've been having Blue Screen of Death issues on my new PC after periods of sleep. I've updated the iGPU drivers direct from the Intel site, a risky move, I know. No Blue Screen since... not yet anyway. However, now I have LrC "select subject" crashing no matter what GPU setting I choose, even off. The only way around this at the moment, I've found, is to disable the GPU in Device Manager. It's a shame I have to do this. I expect Adobe hasn't caught up with the latest Intel drivers. I hope they do soon. Luckily, the i7 CPU is well capable of taking up the slack. It will even do the Raw Details enhancements but a bit slower I think.

This is getting funnier and funnier. Because I disabled the iGPU, the PC no longer goes into sleep mode. Enabling the iGPU puts back the default power options. Go figure! So, I can have sleep mode or subject/sky select but not both. Adobe? Help? I've got Win 11/64 BTW.

"I expect Adobe hasn't caught up with the latest Intel drivers. "

LR uses the industry-standard interface to GPUs. So when a problem occurs, it's more likely to be a bug in the graphics drivers provided by the manufacturers than in LR. These drivers are released many times a year as the manufacturers discover bugs and performance issues. I think LR uses the GPUs much differently than more typical apps like games and video, so as Adobe changes LR to use GPUs more, it's uncovering bugs in the drivers.

The "latest" drivers from a manufacturer aren't necessarily the least buggiest with respect to LR. A few people have posted that rolling back to earlier versions of drivers fixes various LR issues. E.g. this person used an earlier Intel driver to solve a performance problem:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/ligh...ssic-taking-a-long-time-to-load/td-p/13112523

Yes, I knew I was playing with fire installing the latest drivers direct from Intel but it did fix the Blue Screen issue. Normally I would wait for Windows to recommend the drivers. Windows is fairly conservative.
Anyhow, as so often happens with these infernal IT things, as soon as you think you have an issue nailed, it changes. I have re-enabled my iGPU, set it to Auto in LrC and the subject/sky select is works again now. So all good... for the moment. I'm guessing the new iGPU driver install needed the the iGPU to be reset. Maybe that was in the fine print.
Sorry if I've gone off topic.

IF you have an NVidia card AND if you are not also running GPU-intensive games, then the NVidia Studio drivers might be a better, more stable choice. Ed Tittel is a well-known Windows guru. https://www.edtittel.com/blog/nvidia-game-ready-vs-studio-drivers.html

Phil Burton
This is just it. I don't have a discrete GPU. I have an integrated GPU. It's part on the CPU chip. The CPU is the latest 12th Gen Intel i7-12700K that has UHD Graphics 770 integrated GPU. I guess, being that new along with Windows 11 also relatively new, it takes time for things to settle down. Integrate GPUs are not that powerful but I'm hoping to get by. So far so good.

This is just it. I don't have a discrete GPU. I have an integrated GPU. It's part on the CPU chip. The CPU is the latest 12th Gen Intel i7-12700K that has UHD Graphics 770 integrated GPU. I guess, being that new along with Windows 11 also relatively new, it takes time for things to settle down. Integrate GPUs are not that powerful but I'm hoping to get by. So far so good.
@BobT

No problem at all. IF, IF, IF you decide at some point that you would benefit from a discrete GPU, you can probably add one at some later point.

Phil Burton

This is getting funnier and funnier. Because I disabled the iGPU, the PC no longer goes into sleep mode. Enabling the iGPU puts back the default power options. Go figure! So, I can have sleep mode or subject/sky select but not both. Adobe? Help? I've got Win 11/64 BTW.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :thumbsdown::thumbsup:
So, with the iGPU enabled, this is what happens. Whenever I try subject/sky select, LR freezes. After about a minute, an Adobe error report dialogue box comes up. It claims Adobe is aware of the problem and offers the suggestion of disabling the GPU. Great! So I close the dialogue box and LR shuts down. Not so great. Sorry, but I'm not disabling the iGPU.
I've found a workaround. When the error report dialogue box comes up, I don't close it, I just move it out of the way and everything starts working again as usual. The only problem is that I have this stupid dialogue bow stuck it the corner.
I'm happy to continue on like this. The only thing is that whenever the dialogue box comes up, an automatic error report gets sent to Adobe :sneaky: Enjoy Adobe!

I was wondering if any other things light preview generation and dng conversion might be GPU accelerated now. I have a 3060 but if it would help I might upgrade that.
There were several threads on this recently. I posted this several weeks ago when I was playing around with exports and preview builds on my desktop and was watching the CPU and GPU specs, temps and load. Bottom line is Adobe recently on update 11 uses the GPU now for exports (which is great) and does not for building preview files. They are probably working on that, but it takes a lot of redoing and is not easy. Victoria said that Adobe had to work hard to get the GPU engaged on exports. That was a great thing for me because I have the latest GPU and I export full-size jpegs from big GFX raw files. It is good to use all that GPU memory and power. (About time anyway.)

Export - Now uses both CPU and GPU. CPU does not max out load like it does on generate previews - it spikes each second on every jpeg export to around 50-60% load (vs staying at 100% before this new release 11). Fans go to max. CPU temps much lower now at 50-55 C. GPU temps go to 55 C. GPU clock at 1935 MHz. Fans stay at about mid-range as GPU engages.

Generate 1:1 Previews -- CPU stays at 100% load for the whole job. Temps climb to 70 C, but my rig is water cooled. Fans spike to max and stay there. GPU does not engage. Note: LR uses a lot of RAM on building previews - 25 GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back