In a photo app far, far away.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
The main new feature in their 21 Beta is....drum roll please.....Dehaze. Seriously. :whistling:

We got that in Lr....5 years ago?

I have used both CO and LR for a long time. I still use LR as my primary go to app.
However, I very much liked the built in CO layers where I could could use the adjustment brush et al, and then vary the opacity of that particular layer.

Dehaze is not the only update to C1, there is some added functionality to speed up editing and which is probably great for wedding photographers and others who need to process high volumes of images. I also have Lr and C1 but use Lr pretty much exclusively. Layers in C1 are nice but in LrC I can still adjust the opacity after the edit and find the workflow faster. What is nice with C1 layers is the ability to name each layer.

I recently tested C1 for the 4th time and got an email for 30% off for v21 today. Even then it will be $280 CND with annual updates of $200. If I give up LR I lose Portfolio. C1 has its strengths but they don't work for me. Claim to fame is colour but that is not critical to me. Detail is equal and LR pushes crops better which I need for my wildlife shots. C1 does not list any of my telephoto lenses for correction which tells me something. C1 does have a tonality edge over LR. At this point nothing makes me want to get C1. I expected it to blow my socks off IQ wise but it didn't. LR can hold it's ground.

As for speed with LR's new ISO Adaptive Preset and Auto developing can be a breeze if you want it to be. The thing LR really needs is Sensei NR. Keep the traditional method for speed but have a more refined NR option. I replied to this request again but haven't heard anything.

Last post

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conv...tion-feature-request/5f5f46144b561a3d427295da

I agree, the argument that C1 has better IQ is far from convincing. Much prefer the Lr dam as well.

Yes I have read C1 dam is not as good. I have no issues about admitting C1 might be better in some areas but "far" better? Nope. When LrC went subscription I wanted nothing to do with it so I tried C1 everyone raved about on other forums. I was expecting to be floored when I tried but I wasn't. then I learned LrC still required local storage I was OK with it. Too many trolls were saying otherwise which I expect was on purpose to get people to leave Adobe. C1 is a very good developer and I may yet get it one day when it goes on the annual BF sale.

Perhaps if I was a portrait photographer I would see more benefit. A few months after getting the subscription I found this die hard C1 user who supported my findings.

Minute 10:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZdzcaaqaeY

And this thread. Page 2 - post 13 starts getting into a bit of an extreme crop competition. LR did better.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1523501/0

ISO 16,000. First file is LR only. Second is LR - Topaz Denoise AI - LR

Attachments

• _N4A3907.jpg
    _N4A3907.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 162
  • _N4A3907-Edit.jpg
    _N4A3907-Edit.jpg
    667.2 KB · Views: 173
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back