• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Improvements of LR3.2 over LR2.7 - I am impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamedia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Apart from the main new features in LR3 which I find immensely useful, such as: Tethered capture, lens Corrections, amazing noise reduction, improved import dialog, integrated watermarking etc, etc, there are several smaller improvements which make the whole experience of LR now much nicer to use than v2.7 - In fact, I would go so much as to say that using LR3 is a real joy now.
These are the improvements I immediately noticed:

Altogether faster response from controls - it just feels slicker now - Honestly, this is the first time I have felt that LR is a truly professional product - the feel of previous versions just didn't give me the same confidence.

Access of networked images is much more reliable - It used to lock up regularly when clicking images on a network share (Catalog on local drive as always), now it is much more responsive.

Moving folders between drives now faster and more stable than ever - Once I have finished editing a shoot, I move the entire shoot folder onto my server for which the server share path is also shown in the Library. Before, I used to have to move it in windows explorer and re-link in LR as moving the folders in LR involved an epic wait, with no feedback, and LR was virtually un-usable until this completed. Previously, it seemed to move files 1 image at a time, updating the catalog image by image. Now it seems to move the content at a similar rate to doing it manually in Windows Explorer, with one big update of the catalog at the end, and no move errors appear culling the job half way through - Now I can finally move big shoots within LR3 this is awesome!

Mouse Scroll wheel now works on grid in 2nd monitor - I raised this issue a lot in the forums and in bug reports to Adobe. The problem seemed to exist only when (as in my case) the 2nd monitor is placed to left of main monitor. In this config, the scroll wheel never worked to scroll down the grid when displayed on monitor #2. It now works perfectly in LR3.2

Image load performance appears to be slicker - I was quite frankly scared to move to LR3 after reading horror stories in the forums about image access times being very slow. People were suggesting that upon clicking between images in the filmstrip or grid in develop module, it would take 1' or more seconds to gain control of sliders. I must say that I have NOT experienced this issue and if anything, access to the sliders upon clicking a new image appears to be even slicker than with LR2.

I'm sure there are more minor usability improvements I haven't spotted yet. Adobe have done a great job with this software! It just gives me so much more confidence using LR now.

Paul A

I just remember another bugfix which appears to have been included in 3.2:
In LR2 I had a bunch of orphaned keyword hierarchies which appeared in the Keyword List panel in Library mode. These were corrupted duplicates of properly assigned keywords, but these duplicates were not assigned to any images and could not be deleted (right up to 2.7), they just kept popping back up moments after trying to delete them. Well in 3.2 I tried to delete them, and they went first time not to return!

Thanks, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back