• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Impossible to upload directly into Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeF

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
Probably missing something really obvious, but my understanding is the only way to get photos out of LR on iPhone into LR Classic on MacBook is via the cloud.

That's fine with good connections, but when travelling that's not always the case. Instead of the endless tussle of trying to get a fragile connection to the cloud, is there any way the original files can't be sent straight from phone to computer down a good old-fashioned usb cable?

The pictures seem to upload from phone to cloud OK via whatever wifi is available, and are then also visible in LR on the iPad. But getting them back into LR Classic on the Mac takes forever. Which means I can't get on with looking at and organising my pictures. Or am I not supposed to use Classic like this?

I think the problem lies with how Apple is managing the iPhone/iPad. You should be about to connect the iDevice to the Mac with the Lightning/USB cable and let the iPhone appear as another removable device like a camera card of disk drive. Once recognized as such, you should then be able to import from the iPhone just like a camera card.

If I connect my iPhone to the Mac and choose Lightroom Import, I see the iPhone in the Source listing but the Import dialog does not immediately show image files to import. If I wait long enough (There are about 1250 images on the phone) these images do appear and I can import the ones that show not to be already duplicated in the catalog.

I think the problem lies with how Apple is managing the iPhone/iPad. You should be about to connect the iDevice to the Mac with the Lightning/USB cable and let the iPhone appear as another removable device like a camera card of disk drive. Once recognized as such, you should then be able to import from the iPhone just like a camera card.

If I connect my iPhone to the Mac and choose Lightroom Import, I see the iPhone in the Source listing but the Import dialog does not immediately show image files to import. If I wait long enough (There are about 1250 images on the phone) these images do appear and I can import the ones that show not to be already duplicated in the catalog.
I follow basically the same approach as Cletus, even though I use Windows. You need to first enter your password to unlock the iPhone, or else you can't open up the phone's folders to get to the photos.

Phil

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!

The important detail might be "get photos out of LR on iPhone into LR Classic". When you plug the camera into Classic, you can access the photos in the basic Camera Roll, but not in the Lightroom app. The ones in the Lightroom app are cloud sync only.

So the question might be, if they've uploaded to the cloud and reached your iPad ok, why are they taking so long to download into Classic. Tell us a bit more about what you're seeing there?

I follow basically the same approach as Cletus, even though I use Windows. You need to first enter your password to unlock the iPhone, or else you can't open up the phone's folders to get to the photos.

Phil
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum!

The important detail might be "get photos out of LR on iPhone into LR Classic". When you plug the camera into Classic, you can access the photos in the basic Camera Roll, but not in the Lightroom app. The ones in the Lightroom app are cloud sync only.

So the question might be, if they've uploaded to the cloud and reached your iPad ok, why are they taking so long to download into Classic. Tell us a bit more about what you're seeing there?
Hi Victoria, thanks for your reply!
I'm struggling to find out how to start with this. I'm plugging my iphone into my macbook, but can't see how to access the lightroom photos. I know they are in there somewhere - according to itunes the phone only has 32gb memory and it is filling up.
I'm shooting in RAW format, and I assume that those RAW files are residing on the phone, or at least staying there until I'm online. Then they appear on my adobe cloud, and if my internet connection is working OK (which in Italy it wasn't) I can download them into Lightroom Classic on the Mac Book.
In the good old days I could connect my camera to computer using a cable, "see" the folder full of RAW files in a folder on the camera card and simply copy them across. When out and about - no internet - no bother! The last trip where I was dependant on flaky hotel wifi or, worse, fragile 3G in a remote part of Italy, it would take all night for a few of my pictures to come through to Lightroom Classic, and that after hours of tussle with pausing, re-starting, quitting lightroom, restarting the computer, etc, etc. Oddly that wasn't the case with Lightroom on my ipad - it "saw" the photos no problem. When I got home I opened up Lightroom Classic on the Mac Book and within seconds all the missing pictures came through!
Now I'm facing the final hurdle, which is another Adobe Cloud of Mystery - how to actually delete photos off the cloud and my phone to save space. I've "moved" the files to folders on my Mac Book hard drive but how can I be sure they are rock solid safe when Lightroom Classic "syncs" with the cloud?

Thank yo Clee01l,
That seemed to be a good simple solution. I plugged my phone into the macbook with a cable, opened up Lightroom Classic, hit Import, and there, top left, it showed my Iphone 7 plus. But centre screen a big empty box with "No photos found". Waited a while as you mentioned. 2 hours later - nothing. Clearly this isn't a practical solution - I can get my RAW files from a camera card immediately. If Lightroom Classic can see my phone, why can't it see the photos on it?

If Lightroom Classic can see my phone, why can't it see the photos on it?
LR Classic can only "see" photos on the phone if they are in the phone's Camera Roll....if they were captured on the phone using the LR camera, they're stored inside the LR app, NOT in the Camera Roll.

LR Classic can only "see" photos on the phone if they are in the phone's Camera Roll....if they were captured on the phone using the LR camera, they're stored inside the LR app, NOT in the Camera Roll.
Thanks Jim, I'd kind of figured that out - what's surprising (to me) is that Lightroom won't talk to Lightroom - not directly via an old fashioned cable anyway.

Thanks Jim, I'd kind of figured that out - what's surprising (to me) is that Lightroom won't talk to Lightroom - not directly via an old fashioned cable anyway.

Not really surprising, when you think about it. Every app developer that can front the resources is connecting mobile devices via the web. Adobe’s approach is no different. Even Apple has resorted to a multifunction single port aimed at primarily charging the device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The LR App will save to Camera Roll, unfortunately, it's one photo at a time. Works great if you only have a few photos you want to transfer. From the Library, open All Photos or Lr Camera Photos, select a photo (this puts it into the Edit/Develop window) and tap the "Share" icon near the top right (left of the cloud icon). You can select Save to Camera Roll or Export Original also has a destination for the Camera Roll as well.

The LR App will save to Camera Roll, unfortunately, it's one photo at a time. Works great if you only have a few photos you want to transfer. From the Library, open All Photos or Lr Camera Photos, select a photo (this puts it into the Edit/Develop window) and tap the "Share" icon near the top right (left of the cloud icon). You can select Save to Camera Roll or Export Original also has a destination for the Camera Roll as well.
Thank you Ed! That's a workaround I hadn't found, am giving it a try...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back