• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing to LRC after upgrading to Ventura 13.0.1 on M1 Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

richard b

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LRC 11.5, Camera Raw 14.5
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
I am having some problems on importing from my ext HD to LR. I have been running this system for a few years without trouble. My workflow is:

Definitions:

External HD B contains images direct from camera card
External HD F contains catalog and images imported into LR

The workflow:
  1. I copy images from the camera chip to disc B onto a folder named “yymmddAN description”
  2. In LRC Import copy from the folder on disc B to destination on disc F. In disc F I can see the full name of the folder from disc B as prepares be imported to disc F.
  3. The import button in LRC is activated and import takes place. During import I have set up a date to be added to each image file so that a file named DSC_1234 is stored in LRC as YYmmDD_DSC1244.
  4. At the end of the import and I switch to the Develop module I use disc F as the source of images.
The problem:

As I prepare to import in step 1 the correct name of the folder “yymmddAN description” does not show on the destination disc F; only the first part “yymmdd” is shown ie the “AN description” part has not been carried over from disc B. Any suggestions please?

In the library module, looking at disc F, I cannot see the folder for the month of November ie “202211 November”. My guess is that when I try and import the folder “yymmddAN description” LRC cannot find the folder of the month even though I can see it in the source disc B

I have just tried to “dock folder” for the unseen November folder but it hasn't helped

Attached
Disk B, Disk F (two views), LRC import screen (JPEG)
LRC import screenshot 221122.jpg

Can anyone make any suggestions please?

Attachments

• LRC Disc B images master source.pdf
    169.9 KB · Views: 82
  • LRC Disc F 221122.pdf
    190.8 KB · Views: 88
  • LRC Disc F images.pdf
    247.9 KB · Views: 72
Solution
What fixed it? For years when I imported images I have followed the same process. I had not had to tick any boxes on the rh side of the screen and on this occasion under destination I had simply not ended to check that I was filing as I intended under "original folders". For some reason the system was filing under"by date". I now always check that the destination is filing by "original folder" and this has cured the problem. Thanks.
Your screen shot is kinda small to see clearly but it appears you are using the "Copy" mode at the top of the central section, are using a file rename preset, and have chosen to let LrC place the images in a date oriented folder structure.

1) is file renamimg only affects file names and does not affect folder names. That is why the folder name form drive B did not show up on drive F

2) The destination mode is set to "by date" which means that LrC will create folders based on the image capture date and these folders will be placed under the one you select in the destinations panel.

3_ If you want the images to be placed into a folder called "yymmddAN description" you can either change the destination panel to "Into One folder" rather than "by Date" and then check the "Into subfolder" box and type the folder name you want in the box on the same line. then in the lower section select the folder you want the new one to go under.

Another alternative is to use Finder to copy the images from drive B to drive F which will keep the same folder name. Then import from drive F using the "Add" mode. Of course you could also just put them on Drive F directly from the camera memory card skip putting them on B altogether unless there is some other reason you need a copy on B.

What fixed it? For years when I imported images I have followed the same process. I had not had to tick any boxes on the rh side of the screen and on this occasion under destination I had simply not ended to check that I was filing as I intended under "original folders". For some reason the system was filing under"by date". I now always check that the destination is filing by "original folder" and this has cured the problem. Thanks.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back