• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

importing to different folders in same session

donrisi

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7.3
Operating System
macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I know I can tell LR to import into a specific folder, but is there any way to import some photos into one folder, and others into a different folder, all within the same import session?

For one of my clients, I sometimes shoot more than one job during one session, with all of the images saved to one card. Being able to tell LR that photos 1-50 go to folder 1, while 51-100 go to folder 2, and 101-200 go to folder 3 within the same import session would be very helpful . Right now, I have to either import everything to one folder and then move them later by hand, or do separate imports for each job.

A friend told me he used to be able to do this, but one of the recent upgrades removed that feature. I don't ever remember seeing it.

Thanks!

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I have Lr put rename image files and put them into folders based on the shoot date. Those are both items easy to set up in the import dialog. You can also specific a Develop Preset to apply during import.

donrisi

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
thanks for the reply, mcasan. I am, however, familiar with all of that. What I'm curious about is whether or not it's possible to have LR put photos in different folders during the same import.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes it is.....as I though I said. One import session equals files put in folders that are based on shoot dates.