• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Importing the originals from an Aperture library into LRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcs

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hello I just discovered on one of my local drives several thousands photos that I thought I had lost.
Can anyone help me to extract these original from Aperture, to import them into LRC and to store them safely on a local drive?
See attached printscreen of my Finder
Thx
jcs
Lightroom_Catalogues-02.png

The only way I know is to export from Aperture. I have never seen anyone read the Aperture library.
With that said, if you just want the originals and not the edited version. Just import all the images into classic and copy them.

Good luck,

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Is there any reason that you do not want to use the Lightroom Aperture Migration tool?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello Cletus,
I just never heard of that.
It might be what I was looking for.
can you tell me more?
Thanks
jcs

The only way I know is to export from Aperture. I have never seen anyone read the Aperture library.
With that said, if you just want the originals and not the edited version. Just import all the images into classic and copy them.

Good luck,

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk
Hello Tim,
I would not mind keeping some of the metadata related to these originals.
I feel like waiting until I know more about the "Lightroom Aperture Migration tool " that Cletus is mentioning, before I make a move (I have done my share of stupid moves with my photos...)
Thanks for your suggestion, that I keep on the back burner.
jcs

Hello Cletus,
I just never heard of that.
It might be what I was looking for.
can you tell me more?
Thanks
jcs
In the Lightroom Classic menu, it is {File}{Plugin Extras}{Import from Aperture Library...}. and follow the instructions on the dialog that opens. You have the option of creating and cataloging derivatives images (full-size Previews) of the Aperature adjusted images along with the unadjusted originals. You get a choice of copying the originals to a new location or using the original images referenced by Aperture.

I would recommend creating and cataloging the full-size previews and just copying the original image file to a new location only referenced by Lightroom Classic. A couple of Aperture named Collection Sets will be created. After the Migration is complete, you can decide whether to keep the full size adjusted images and whether you are ready to let go of all of the files including Aperture image originals.

Hello Cletus,
I have started the process yesterday evening: it seems to be working but to be extremely slow... after a whole night it says that only 6% of the job is done.
But the originals are now beginning to appear in the Finder.
Did I do something wrong or is it normal that it takes so much time to extract these originals from The Aperture library (on one of my external hard disk) and to export them (and copy them on another of my external hard disk)?
Thanks for your insights.
jcs
Capture d’écran 2021-07-12 à 08.24.30.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-07-12 à 08.29.52.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-07-12 à 08.29.52.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
It is very IO intensive. A lot will depend on the speed of your external drives. Also, the older the drives, they tend to be slower.

It is very IO intensive. A lot will depend on the speed of your external drives. Also, the older the drives, they tend to be slower.
Thank you, so I'll be patient and let the process go on. The attached picture shows the external drives I am using. Does that tell you something?
jcs

No pic, but I am not likely to recognize and know the performance of the attached drive anyway.

After 2 full nights and one full day the transfer is still going on...
In the Finder I can now see originals accumulating from 1980 until 2013.
Looks like 2014 pictures are still in the works.
However in the LR it says that only 10% of the job is done ???
I keep keeping on but anybody has an explanation for that?
Thx
jcs

Capture d’écran 2021-07-13 à 10.39.18.png

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-07-13 à 10.44.11.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-07-13 à 10.44.11.png
    238.6 KB · Views: 125
In addition to extracting and copying the originals and then importing these into Lightroom Classic, the migration process will also be creating derivative copies of all of your Aperture Edited images. This migration process also requires a lot of working storage for temporary files created along the way. If you primary HD is short on Freespace, the MacOS may be running out of working storage and this will slow the process.

Thx Cletus, my primary HD has only 28 Go available presently, so that might be the cause of this "slowness". But I can live with that: I just let it run.
Question: if I need to stop it for some odd reason, could that damage anything?
Thx for your help.
jcs

Thx Cletus, my primary HD has only 28 Go available presently, so that might be the cause of this "slowness". But I can live with that: I just let it run.
Question: if I need to stop it for some odd reason, could that damage anything?
Thx for your help.
jcs

That depends. It you made a backup copy of your catalog before toy started, Then the master catalog could be replaced with the backup copy and migration restarted from the beginning with no consequences to Lightroom or Aperture. I can not say what might be the Lightroom outcome if you tried to pick up where you left off on the current master catalog should you stop the migration process.

As for freespace on your primary HD, it is recommended that you keep 100GB free at all times. The 28GB free is certainly a part of the reason everything is running slow.

The Aperture/iPhoto Importer Plug-in has always been buggy, and it slows down greatly with larger numbers of photos (it takes time proportional to the square of the number of photos). Three workarounds:

- Some have reported that they exited LR before the import was finished and then reran the plugin. LR picked up from where it left off but went much faster, at least for a while, and then they exited LR and restarted the import again, repeating that until the import finished. I recommend trying that with a new, empty LR catalog. If you succeed, you can import that catalog into your main catalog.

- Break the Aperture library into chunks (Google for instructions) of no more than, say, 5000 photos each, and import each sublibrary separately.

- Use the Avalanche program, which a few have reported worked well.

Have you looked at Avalanche for Lightroom. I have hear that it work very well.
https://cyme.io/avalanche-photo-conversion/I have several old Aperture files that I hope to get to to find some missing old photos. I have not tried it yet. It claims to be much faster and more reliable

Hello again, your collective insights are beginning to penetrate through my thick coat of ignorance... that led me to locate my LR catalog in my internal drive and to notice something surprising (to me...). Before I go further in the transfer of my originals from Aprture to LR I would like to ask you these questions about the LR catalogs.

I find LR catalogs in 2 separate files:
  • one file named "LR jcs catalog"
  • another one named "Adobe Test catalog"
There are plenty of backups in both of this folders:
  • from june5th2018 to july11th 2021 in "Adobe test catalog (156 Go)
  • from january7th2016 to may25th2018 in "LR jcs Catalogue" (almost 60 Go)
All this is taking more than 200 Go on my internal drive.
Do I need all that backup?
Should I delete some of it?
Or move it on an external drive?

Attachments

• Adobe_jcs_Catalog_59Go.png
    Adobe_jcs_Catalog_59Go.png
    885 KB · Views: 115
  • Adobe_Test_Catalog_153Go.png
    Adobe_Test_Catalog_153Go.png
    851.9 KB · Views: 110
  • Adobe_LR_catalog_space.png
    Adobe_LR_catalog_space.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 110
The most conservative option would be to put the backups on a separate external drive (does not need to be connected after transfer),. than you have them. I would keep them at least until your are satisfied with you picture organization.

I have had 3 or 4 LRC catalogues that i have started to try to organize at different points in time. What a meee. I looked at each and tried to determine which ones had valuable stuff and which were duplicates. You can merge catalogues but not everything merges. Key word any important collections with COLLECTION_Name as an identifier. Also Key Word each import with the FROM_Catalogue Name. Read some about merging catalogues before you do it. This is only if you want to save some of your organization and editing work.

The most conservative option would be to put the backups on a separate external drive (does not need to be connected after transfer),. than you have them. I would keep them at least until your are satisfied with you picture organization.

I have had 3 or 4 LRC catalogues that i have started to try to organize at different points in time. What a meee. I looked at each and tried to determine which ones had valuable stuff and which were duplicates. You can merge catalogues but not everything merges. Key word any important collections with COLLECTION_Name as an identifier. Also Key Word each import with the FROM_Catalogue Name. Read some about merging catalogues before you do it. This is only if you want to save some of your organization and editing work.
Thank you Bill,
My next move will be to follow your advice #1 : to transfer the backups on a separate external drive. That in itself should free about 50 Go on my internal drive, which will be good news for it...
After that I will do some reading on "merging catalogs" because I would really like to simplify my structure with only one catalog.
But I will do some studying first.
Did I understand your advice properly?
jcs

Thank you Bill,
My next move will be to follow your advice #1 : to transfer the backups on a separate external drive. That in itself should free about 50 Go on my internal drive, which will be good news for it...
After that I will do some reading on "merging catalogs" because I would really like to simplify my structure with only one catalog.
But I will do some studying first.
Did I understand your advice properly?
jcs
Yes. I don't thing that all collections merge so if that is correct. First apply a keyword to all the photos in any collection that you care about. as I said earlier "COLLECTION_collection name". Also apply to all photos in each catalogue a KW "FROM_catalogue Name".
For collections that matched ones in he catalogue I was merging in to I simply added them to there respective collection.
For collections that were not in the master catalogue I made them from the collection KW.s.
(Tip: Use keystrokes:
*Select all the images for each collection KW. CNT/CMD "A"
*Edit the KW so you can copy it's name CNT/CMD "C'
*cancel edit
* Use CNT/CMd "N" To create a collection in the master catalogue.
*Past the KW in the name filed CNT/CMD 'V" y
*Select the check box to include selected photos
*Save

I had so many catalogues that I went a step further to make it quick and easy to see what each catalogue status. So that info would show up in badges in Grid View I created collections for the 'FROM_Catalogue Name". Using the same method. Now I can simply click on the badge to see which collections and from what catalogues the hoto is in.

I have moved 2 backups files (47 Go total) on an external drive.
However I notice that I still have another 88 Go in files identified as "Adobe test catalog Previews + Smart Previews".
Can I move these files on external drive or should they remain on my internal drive?
Thx for your help.
jcs

Attachments

• LR_Adobe_Backups_OnExternalDrive.png
    LR_Adobe_Backups_OnExternalDrive.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 101
  • LR-adobeTestCatalogs_88Go.png
    LR-adobeTestCatalogs_88Go.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 122
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back