• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Importing- Preselecting Folder to Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

magician john

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
When importing from SD card, I use to be able to select the Folder that I want the photos to be imported to. (Import to this folder) from the Navigator/Catalogue panel.
Now, I get "File cannot be found" and when I click ok, it takes me to the File Handling page.
I have to cancel out of this to get back to the Folders Panel to select my specific folder.

Is there a setting for this that I have lost or should be used?
Why does the error message of File cannot be found appear?
Is this because it comes up under DCIM rather than NO NAME, which is the sd card?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.56.53.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.56.53.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.57.19.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.57.19.png
    526.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.57.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-25 at 15.57.34.png
    138 KB · Views: 90
If you go to the left panel and right click on the mouse, it comes up with an option to "import to this folder".
If you click on the right panel, this option does not come up.

please also advise what the "file cannot be found" error message comes up when I import.

if you click on the right panel, this option does not come up.
You do not need an "option" from a [Right-Click]. The Panel on the right shows the destination folders- you just only need to [Click] and highlight a folder as the destination.

So what is this Destination folder that you show in a screen-clip?
It looks like a Camera Card, and not a folder on a hard-drive!
2022-06-27 08_04_22-Importing- Preselecting Folder to Import _ Lightroom Queen Forums — Mozill...jpg

If you are, in fact, trying to Import to a Camera Card- it is not possible! This may be the cause of the "File not found" error message. ie. LrC cannot find a folder on a camera card to 'import' to.

I have attached prints from this morning, just after I have input my SD card into my computer.
The first one is from the left panel and the error message.
I have not touched nor selected anything.
The first thing that comes up is message "the file can't be found"

Please advise further what needs to be done to correct this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 10.22.00.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 10.22.00.png
    222.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 10.22.10.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-27 at 10.22.10.png
    311.3 KB · Views: 70
Have you tried selecting the {100OLYMP} folder on the SD card?
There have been rare reports that [Include sub-folders] does not always work as it should.
2022-06-28 05_27_44-Clipboard.jpg

I may be missing something here, but...

Your screenshots in post 5 show the Import dialog, so the OS is automatically opening the Import dialog when you insert the card.

Import to this folder only shows in the Folders panel of the main Lightroom window, not the Import dialog. Instead, you select the destination folder in the Destination panel on the right, simply by clicking on it.

For the file can't be found, it doesn't say which file that is, but I'm wondering if a permissions issue is involved. How do I set permissions on macOS for Lightroom Classic?

After speaking to Adobe support and then Apple support, turns out the issue was "Image Capture".
Apple have sorted for me.

Looks like to me you were trying to import back into the source folder which is of course impossible.

@Rob_Cullen and @Victoria Bampton,

Please forgive the correction but you can in fact right-click a folder in the left folders panel to use it a the folder to import to. You cannot as you correctly stated import to a source folder which is what the DCIM folder is on a SD card. Please see the screenshots below.
import-to-this-folder.png

preselected_import_folder.png

What Victoria already confirmed is that you can right-click the folder in the folder panel of the Library module. That is also what you show here. The OP tried to do this while already in the import dialog, as shown by his screenshots. That won’t work.

I had seen various shortcuts that suggested this selection of the folder from the Folder panel which is why I used it.
The issue though re the error message was not about this as it came up without me touching anything at all. It is not sorted as it was a Image Capture issue, which Apple kindly resolved for me yesterday. Maybe caused by the Lightroom resets that I did about the previous issue that you helped me with, maybe something else? Anyways it no longer appears, so I am happy with that.

What Victoria already confirmed is that you can right-click the folder in the folder panel of the Library module. That is also what you show here. The OP tried to do this while already in the import dialog, as shown by his screenshots. That won’t work.
I stand corrected, I miss read Victoria's post. She did in fact say, "Import to this folder only shows in the Folders panel of the main Lightroom window, not the Import dialog." Thanks for the clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back