• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

tania

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC 2022 version
Operating System
  1. iOS
Hello. I have a question about importing photos. When we go to import photos, they import successfully. However, it imports them and you have to keep clicking down in the folder, several times, to get to the photos (they are just subfolders, to keep clicking through to get to the actual images). I took a class on Lightroom, and I recall this being addressed and how to change it in settings, I believe. But I cannot come across the information now that I need it. I was trying to do a Google search on how to fix the problem and I came across this site. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.

There are many settings that control where the imported images will reside. They can stay where they are, be copied, or moved. In copying or moving there are several options for how the folders to store the imported images are created.

Perhaps you can provide some more details on how you are importing your images?

Hello. I have a question about importing photos. When we go to import photos, they import successfully. However, it imports them and you have to keep clicking down in the folder, several times, to get to the photos (they are just subfolders, to keep clicking through to get to the actual images). I took a class on Lightroom, and I recall this being addressed and how to change it in settings, I believe. But I cannot come across the information now that I need it. I was trying to do a Google search on how to fix the problem and I came across this site. Any information would be very helpful. Thank you.
Please state the correct version of Lightroom and your OS. You say “Lightroom CC 2022”, but the name Lightroom CC was dropped quite some time ago. You also say ‘iOS’, but as Lightroom Mobile does not use folders for storage that does not seem to be correct either. Your question about folders suggests you use Lightroom Classic, but we need to be sure to give you the correct advice.

You have several choices. You do not have to let Lightroom Classic create dated folders at all, or you can create dated folders only for years and months, not for each day. That is a choice in the import dialog, in the Destination panel. A better option in my opinion is to work with collections to organise your images. Let Lightroom Classic create dated folders all right, but only for the physical storage. Organize your images with collections. Victoria has a free eBook that can help you get started.

OK, thanks for the info.

When you say "you have to keep clicking down in the folder, several times, to get to the photos (they are just subfolders, to keep clicking through to get to the actual images)." are you importing your images from a memory card via a card reader or from another disk? Maybe some screen shots of how you are importing your images would help. Also what is the make/model of you camera.

One thought - when in Lightroom's Library view under Folders you maybe able to right-click (on Windows at least) on the top level folder and select "Hide This Parent" which might help simplify the view. But I'm guessing that you don't really want to use the current folder structure that Lightroom is creating for you.

I actually follow Johan's advice and let Lightroom create dated folders (year, month, day format) as for me the folder (and name of the image file) become irrelevant to me as I use the asset management features of Lighroom - Collections and Keywording etc.

I am paranoid about LR doing anything to rename my folders, add folders, add layers of folder hierarchy, or to do anything to change the folder structure that I have carefully created over many years on my data disk. I want to control that completely. I demand that LR does nothing to mess with my folder structure, and I don't want it automatically creating any file names or folders or layers of folders.
There are many ways to do that. The first thing though, is on import, you need to tell the dialog box not to create a parent folder on import and you need to carefully pick where you want the files to go. Just import to a folder over on the right- side panels or to anyplace you want.
I know I'm old school and organize everything by folders.
Don't be afraid to experiment. You can always edit your folder structure and location of files from within LR.

I do use the LR library module to title and caption every shot, add lots of key words and then rename all the files. That is basic stuff. But you are trying to import images to a folder or import a folder into another folder. You can do that easily. Just play with it.
You can always go into library and clean up your folder structure just like you would in Windows but from within LR. Remember the Golden Rule - Do all file and folder manipulations inside LR or the LR cat won't find the files if you do it in Windows file explorer or app.
Read Victoria's book on all about importing. I'm reading through it now for the first time and I've been using LR every day for a decade or more. I'm learning stuff as I go.
LR is not hard. It is just a different mind-set. The joy of shooting and editing raw. Very powerful.

"I demand that LR does nothing to mess with my folder structure"
Then just be certain that EVERY Import you do has the [ADD] option selected at the top of the Import window.
2022-07-13 08_00_53-Clipboard.jpg

See on Page 33 of "Lightroom Classic -The Missing FAQ"

"I demand that LR does nothing to mess with my folder structure"
Then just be certain that EVERY Import you do has the [ADD] option selected at the top of the Import window.
View attachment 18967
See on Page 33 of "Lightroom Classic -The Missing FAQ"
Rob, yes, that is what I have been doing for many years after returning from shoots and copying the files and their sidecars to my folder structure on my PC (from the laptop) and then adding the folder full of shots to my catalog (as you depicted). But this time (another topic) I am going to Export as Catalog from the laptop to the PC. I used to do that but it created havoc on my folder system so I stopped. But that is another tropic.

Having used Lightroom since its inception (I go v1 free as I purchased RAWShooter - a history lesson!) I have always imported to dated folders created by Lightroom. I never rename my files either - the file names don't matter when you choose to use Collections, Keywords and the database functions to locate important files.

I only ever export when I need to send a jpg to someone. I print from Lightroom too. I find it easier to stay within the Lightroom system rather than make up my own names for folders. To do that you need a robust system to ensrure the folder names mean something years down the line and don't end up conflicting. Typically, the images in any named folder may relate to a range of subjects that the folder name just can't capture - hence using Lightroom's keywords.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back