• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Importing photos they came with exclamation point inside diamond shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

info_25

j9
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I saw a solution in another thread and thought I'd found the answer, until I went to where the image is supposed to be located Lightroom Catalog.lrcat and it is greyed out and won't let me select it. That was the given solution. I have a new computer and in trying to use Lightroom every image in the catalog has an exclamation point. How do I find my images? I'm not a very techie person and may have selected a wrong library to begin with?? I can see my images but every one has the exclamation point. I can't find anything on the web about this problem. Thanks.

I have a new computer
And what OS is installed? Mojave as in your post? (6.0 may NOT work in Catalina OS)
I went to where the image is supposed to be located Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
No, your image files are NOT in the Lightroom Catalog. They should be in Folders where you copied them to. Hopefully you copied the Folders of image files in exactly the same Folder hierarchy as on your 'old' Mac.
every image in the catalog has an exclamation point.
Which means that the image files in your new Mac are NOT in the same Folder path/location as the Lightroom Folder panel 'thinks' they should be.
MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Lightroom Queen)
MISSING FILES & FOLDERS (Adobe link)

Hi again. I see that you are the same person posting on my other thread about this so I won't go into more detail here. Thank you for your response.

Yes. My operating system is Mojave. It had Catalina when I bought it but when I restored my data it reverted to Mojave, which I was happy about.

I don't even know how to use Folders. I have always used whatever software I had at the time, first iPhoto, then Aperture, Now LR, and they imported to wherever those programs put them. I have no idea where that is. I really, really am a novice at this. In my other response to you I listed the files/folders I see in Finder now. Hopefully that makes some sense to you cuz I don't understand this at all.

Thank you.

I don't even know how to use Folders.
There is no application called ‘Folders’. I don’t know why that word was written with a capital letter, which is probably what confused you.

There is no application called ‘Folders’. I don’t know why that word was written with a capital letter, which is probably what confused you.

German noun capitalization?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I appreciate your trying to help but I think you're assuming I know what it, whatever "it" is, is supposed to look like. I tried to attach a screen shot of two images of what I see in Finder at the bottom of a list of a whole bunch of .xmp files, but apparently they are too large?? A screen shot is too large? Anyway, the one that says folders (no capital f) has about 5 folders from Lightroom that open to one or two other folders also from LR. But all those files should have dozens more files, not just one or two.

I appreciate your trying to help but I think you're assuming I know what it, whatever "it" is, is supposed to look like. I tried to attach a screen shot of two images of what I see in Finder at the bottom of a list of a whole bunch of .xmp files, but apparently they are too large?? A screen shot is too large? Anyway, the one that says folders (no capital f) has about 5 folders from Lightroom that open to one or two other folders also from LR. But all those files should have dozens more files, not just one or two.
A screenshot from a high resolution screen can indeed be too large to post in this forum. You can use Photoshop or another image editor to reduce the size. In Photoshop you would select ‘Image Size’ and then choose 50% for example. Save it and then try again to post it, because screenshots do help a lot understanding a problem and explaining the solution. Very often one look at a screenshot is enough to understand what is the problem and how to solve it, while text without a screenshot can lead to more questions and answers without any progress because people do not really understand what the other one is talking about.

You can even use Apple Preview for this: How to quickly resize an image or many images at once on a Mac computer, using its default Preview app

I don’t know why that word was written with a capital letter
And even I do not know why..:confused: just love the [Shift] key :) (The web links are just copied from my bookmarks -in caps)

"they imported to wherever those programs put them. I have no idea where that is. "
" But all those files should have dozens more files, not just one or two."

I guess this primarily is the problem you are having.
Finding your image files (with Mac finder) is the first step to re-linking them with the Lightroom Catalog database.
And screen-clips can be most helpful to helping with answers. So Cletus and Johan are on track to help. Thanks.

I don't even know how to use Folders. I have always used whatever software I had at the time, first iPhoto, then Aperture, Now LR, and they imported to wherever those programs put them. I have no idea where that is. I really, really am a novice at this. In my other response to you I listed the files/folders I see in Finder now. Hopefully that makes some sense to you cuz I don't understand this at all.

Thank you.
I am sorry to hear you are having troubles. As LR is not really a program that can easily be used on "auto pilot", is there some reason that you have decided to make it your program of choice? I only ask because there is a bit more learning curve ahead to using it without major issues. There are many good tutorials, videos and books, including Victoria's, so you may want to have a look at the road ahead before starting to travel it. IMHO, trying to use LR with minimal computer skills could be a bit challenging as a lot of LR does not follow what might seem like common sense outside of the program.

Good luck,

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back