Importing photos issued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerry Andrew

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I am trying to import photos from my SD card into Lightroom as 'copy as DNG'. I can see the images but when I try and import them I get the message that says 1-100, 101-200, 201-300, 301-331 files not recognised by the raw format in Lightroom 331.
I also tried just using 'copy' but received a similar message without the raw format wording.
Lightroom is going through the process of importing files & the convert to digital negative import slide on the screen moves and it all takes time, but to no avail.

These photos are shot on a mirrorless Olympus camera and I shoot in RAW & JPEG.

Although I have had Lightroom for years, I am a new user who is trying to get all photos organised and will then upgrade to a subsciption Lightroom.

What am I doing wrong?

I did tick the box to make a second copy to my attached RAID drive, thinking that would be a full photo image, but assume as it is going through Lightroom, that isn't the case. I want to make sure I have a full set of original photos on my attached drive as well as the image information in the catalogue. It has taken a lot of reading to get to this step!

Thank you Paul. I did wonder about that. I have Lightroom 5.7 and an Olympus Pen F camera.
I followed your link and did see there is a conversion option available, so might try that.
As I am starting from scratch, I need to make the decision (expensive) scrap what I have and subscribe now or (cheaper) stick with Lightroom 5.7 and make it work, somehow, as I think does everything I need, rather than paying for a lot I don't.
I really just need somewhere to store all my photos, a light edit for scrapbooking purposes and was planning on using Lightroom to store my scrapbooking digital files as the search facility would be perfect.

As I am starting from scratch, I need to make the decision (expensive) scrap what I have and subscribe now or (cheaper) stick with Lightroom 5.7 and make it work, somehow, as I think does everything I need, rather than paying for a lot I don't.
I really just need somewhere to store all my photos, a light edit for scrapbooking purposes and was planning on using Lightroom to store my scrapbooking digital files as the search facility would be perfect.
Something to consider. At some point you will upgrade the OS and 32 bit Lr5 won't be able to move to the new 64bit only MacOS. LR5 was released 7 1/2 years ago and in computer term that is ancient and obsolete. A subscription will bring more than additional features of Lightroom Classic. A subscription will come with Photoshop and Cloud and mobile access too.

Thank you I have taken on board everything you said, and as I am starting from scratch I upgraded my operating system to Big Sur, deleted Lightroom 5 and downloaded the latest version of Lightroom. I am set to go. I have years of hard drives, SD cards etc to load. My goal is to get all my photos in one place (through Lightroom) organised, and backed up (the actual photos) and tagged, ready to use.
My photos will be stored on a portable hard drive and my Lightroom catalogue on my iMac. Do I load all the photos onto the portable hard drive, organise them then import them into Lightroom or start with Lightroom, organise them and then back them up (not sure how to do that)?
It has taken me a very long time to get to this place and I want to make sure I get it right. Thanks again.

If you have worked with lightroom then one option is not to starting from scratch but use your old catalog, that is possible with Lighroom Classic.
All organization i would do IN lightroom because that's just the tool for it (selecting, grouping, tagging, deleting, moving, renaming, etc). So yes, start with Lightroom.

Thank you, I havent worked with Lightroom before. I have had it for years but only just getting started now. After I start loading my photos into Lightroom, how do I actually then backup the photos (images not catalogue) onto my external hard drive?

how do I actually then backup the photos (images not catalogue) onto my external hard drive?
On Windows i Use Syncback Free and on Mac Carbon Copy. They both have a validation option that do check the integrity of the image afterwards.
However, don't rely just on one local copy of the images as backup. Folow the 3-2-1 rule (description: Backup Overview | dpBestflow)

how do I actually then backup the photos (images not catalogue) onto my external hard drive?
TimeMachine is the backup app of choice for Mac users. It comes free with the OS. Use it to backup all of your critical user files including your document files, catalog file and your image files.

I use Time Machine for my iMac and then have a secondary portable hard drive that I backup weekly to and keep in the safe. However I am wanting to put my images on a portable hard drive which isn't backed up by Time Machine, I can get around that, just need to get the images onto said hard drive.
The concept I'm struggling with is if I import my images from my SD card (or other means) into Lightroom, then remove the SD card, doesn't that mean there is no 'full image' in Lightroom so nothing to backup, only the changes I make that store in the catalogue. I am wanting to make sure that when I import into Lightroom, I also have a 'full copy' of my image stored onto my portable hard drive, this is the concept of getting everything in one place, then using Lightroom to organise it. I am worried that if I don't do it correctly, that once the SD card is removed and later re-formated, those images are gone. I get that Lightroom doesn't store the full image but where does it get stored, so it can be backed up?

where does it get stored, so it can be backed up?
You can see in de Folder panel of Lightroom where those original files are. You can check it for sure by opening the same location with explorer (windows) or Finder (mac). These are the folders you want to back-up.

However I am wanting to put my images on a portable hard drive which isn't backed up by Time Machine, I can get around that, just need to get the images onto said hard drive.
By default, TimeMachine excludes all volumes except MacIntoshHD. Open TimeMachine Preferences and click on {Options} to add additional volumes or folders. Note that your target backup volume needs to be large enough to accommodate the combined size of the multi-volume backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back