• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Export Importing Nikon D810 raw files into Lightroom Classic CC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Steadman.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Light Room Classic CC. latest version.
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Dear members. I am sorry I have not been on the forum lately, my wife died in March so have been going through a rough time. My wife transferred all the raw files into Lightroom for me so I am rather lost as to how to do it.
I would like to know a straight forward and simple procedure to import Nikon D810 uncompressed large raw files into Lightroom Classic CC. Using a compact flash card and a card reader connected to a PC and windows 10.
Also I would like to know how to transfer those raw files from the PC to a external storage device as a backup for safe keeping.
Thanking you.
John Steadman.

We are here to help. I too am a recent widower. And the D810 is my primary camera.

I shoot RAW, so here is where I will start. If you are not comfortable shooting RAW, I'd suggest setting the camera on RAW + JPEG until you get comfortable processing RAW.

I recommend always using a Card Reader to transfer the camera card file to LR. While you can connect the camera, I don't recommend this as it causes unnecessary wear on the camera battery and more people have problems with the "camera as a removable drive" option than you will find with simply using the camera card.
  1. Insert the camera card into the PC's card reader. The LR import dialog should come up immediately. If it does not then in LR Open the import dialog and you should find the volume name of your camera carat the top of the left panel.
  2. In the middle panel choose "Copy" to copy the images files from the camera card to the disk drive and catalog these in the LR catalog file.
  3. In the right panel choose settings that you feel are appropriate paying particular attention to the Destination section.
  4. In the Destination section, I recommend using a date based folder system, since the folders are not important to LR's organization of your images.
  5. In the Destination section, you will highlight a parent folder. And folders created by LR (date based or otherwise) will be a child folder of this highlighted folder
  6. Once you have completed the import, you are done with the camera card and it can be returned to the camera and reformatted. However, It is very important that you backup the images imported onto the disk drive so that there are two copies of your master images before erasing the camera card.
  7. After import the first step that you want to do is review these images and cull out any that you don't think are good enough to keep or post process.
  8. The next step is organizing the images. In the Catalog panel, you will find a special collection called "Previous Import" This special collection will contain you last import. You can view your images here in grid view to cull, assign keywords or to assign to a collection. Collections are "buckets" to organize your images so that you can group them logically.
  9. Once you have completed the organization using keywords and collection, you can use the Develop module to post process the RAW image or tweak the Camera processed JPEGs.
We can help with any other parts of LR that you are unfamiliar with or need help.

Dear members. I am sorry I have not been on the forum lately, my wife died in March so have been going through a rough time.
So sorry to hear that John. We're pleased to have you back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back