Importing keywords into Lightroom

Donald Slaughter

What does custom title mean?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
I began importing lists of keywords into Lightroom when I learned that such a thing was possible. First, I imported the Foundation List. This contains a little more than 2000 words and has some nice features such as Attribute and Photography checklists. I was a little turned off when it told me that "spider" was an "insect" and "seaplane" was an "aircraft" and not an "airplane". Foundation List partially follows the pattern for newspaper article construction which answers the questions: "Who", "What", "Why", "When", "Where", and "How".
A more exhaustive and scholarly list is Thesaurus for Graphic Materials, over 7000 words, which may be downloaded freely by visiting the U S Library of Congress website. The catch is: What you download from them can't be imported into Lightroom. Their offerings are designed for Microsoft Word and Excel.
Desiring to get TGM into my Lightroom, I purchased a Lightroom-friendly copy from the owner of a keywording website. I soon became dissatisfied: "This is not pure TGM, this is TGM plus the preparer's words". The preparer had added many synonyms to the lowest hierarchical level rather than to the places where synonyms are supposed to go.
I decided to make a pure copy of Thesaurus for Graphic Materials which would load into Lightroom. It was pretty easy to do. I obtained a bulleted copy from the TGM editors. This copy showed indentation by the number of bullets at the beginning of each line. I copied it into Microsoft Access, converted the bulleted lines into true indentations, and copied it to Microsoft Notepad. This last step put it into text file format which is Lightroom friendly. In Lightroom I clicked on "Metadata" and then on "Import keywords". Within two minutes a had a beautiful copy, ready to use. Here is my file if anyone desires to download it.

Attachments

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Thanks for sharing s423dr38, I'm sure some will appreciate your efforts.