Importing images from Aperture into LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fioell

Lightroom Version Number
9.2.1 [ 202004070813-7699d98a]
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I'd like to know if there is any way of importing images from Aperture into LR Classic (Mojave version 10.14.6) without the daily folders.
I need to import the jpg previews as I have a lot of adjusted images and want to keep these. I think it may have something to do with the images in Aperture being 'managed' and not referring to original image, but I don't know how to change that in Aperture. Can anybody help me please? Would be eternally grateful!!

Welcome to the forum. There is a plugin that is found in the menu {File}{Plugin Extras...}. that will read your Apertiure Library and import both originals and adjusted images. In the Collection Panel there will be Collections created to match your Aperture Albums and a Collection of all of your adjusted images.

Lightroom Needs to put the images somewhere outside of the hidden folders in the Aperture Library Package so that they can be references with a path yo a copy of the original image file. Once you have converted your Aperture Library to Lightroom, you can delete the Aperture Library package including those copies of the Images inside.
I do not recall the folder structure options available on the plugin, but once these images have been extracted from the Aperture Library package, you are free to move then to a different folder structure. A date named folder structure is best as the organization of images is best managed in Lightroom Collections.

You are correct that because your photos are "managed" in Aperture, LR's import from Aperture plugin needs to make copies of them and it will do so in date-based folders.

If you really don't want this, you need to make them "referenced" in Aperture before importing into LR. So that's Relocate Masters in Aperture, and then you should go into the options in LR's import from Aperture dialog and choose to import files at their current locations. This prevents LR copying the files.

But date-based folders are just how stuff happens to be stored. Just as in Aperture, you categorise and group photos with keywords, other metadata, and collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back