• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing from camera device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Owen

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
V. 7.5.0 8FCD92/52
Operating System
  1. iOS
I use an iPad Pro (12.5” 3rd Generation). I import from compact flash cards. The card is removed from the camera (Canon EOS 5D IV) and placed in a Lexar LRW400U USB 3.0 Dual slot reader. This is connected to a Hyper Drive USB C dock plugged into the USB C port on the iPad. Lately when I ask LR Mobile to import from camera device the app begins to load the images and then, just prior to completing the preview, the import screen drops to the bottom of the screen and switches off the import. A pop up appears saying ‘no camera device found’. I‘ve tried restarting the app and the iPad but the same thing happens. However, if I use the same set up to import into a folder in Files, the images copy over without problem. I can then ‘Import from Files’ into LR Mobile successfully.

Has anyone else seen this?

I import all the time directly from an XQD card reader. It has a SDHC Card Slot and anXQD card slot and a USB3 port. I don’t have any problems with importing. IIRC, the Hyperdrive USC C is a hub not a dock and is designed for a Mac not an iPad. It might not have enough power to work correctly with the iPad Pro. Unless you have the Apple keyboard with a built in USB C port, you are not able to charge the iPadPro and use the Hyperdrive hub at the same time. The Hyper drive Hub gets all of its power from the device it is plugged into. If the battery lever drops, it might not provide enough power to supply to the Lexar Card Reader. If the power drops (because reading files is power hungry) then the Card reader might drop off. You might get a USB-C to USB3 adapter and plug the Lexar Card reader directly into the port when the iPad is fully charged.

Thanks Cletus. All good points.
I do have an Apple Keyboard so it can be charged at the same time, however the iPad - whenever I import - it has plenty of power.
Thing is, the hub works perfectly well when importing into the Files application, so it’s certainly not the hub. The problem only raises it’s head when using LR.

I think it is still a power issue. Lightroom reads multiple files into a temporary working space All at once. A Copy to the files app reads one at a time.

I might have a Hyperdrive that I tried to use with my iPadPro. I might have encountered the same problem. But this has been so long that I do not recall if my memory. Is correct. I keep my iPadPro on the Apple keyboard charger and import using a USB C card reader in the free USB C port.

I’ve been using an Apple Card reader plugged directly into the USB-C port on the side of the iPad Pro and that is exhibiting the same issues as the Hyperdrive dock/card reader. Initially LR starts to show the images being selected and then suddenly the import screen drops to the bottom of the screen and stops. LR then says ‘no camera device detected’. I can easily import into files and then import from files into LR. So, it’s not the Hyperdrive dock.

I was able to do this in the past using the same card readers and iPad.

It‘s either LR or the iPad, but given that the iPad imports into files without issue, I’m assuming it must be LR.

My feeling is to delete the LR app and reinstall.

Anyone have any similar experiences or ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back