• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing from another catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisbreen

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 7.4
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
HI - I am new to this forum but frustrated by Lightroom.

I am trying to import images and data from a catalog on my Macbook (via a portable hard drive) to my desktop Mac but keep getting the following message "Lightroom could not import this catolog because of an unknown error".

Any ideas why or how I can over come it?

Many thanks,

Chris

Have you tried to export the catalog from LR on the macbook first before importing to the mac? If your just trying to import the macbooks catalog to mac without an export, LR may not like it because it didnt create the file in the first place.

Ok - will try that. This was my process though...
1. Put images from MacBook to Lacie portable h/drive
2. Reassociate images in LR
3. Copy LR catalog to h/drive
4. Open LR on Mac
5. Go thru import windows...

On my mac it is under the File menu about 1/2 way down, "Export as Catalog...."

Ive been looking around the 'net, seems to happen alot without much success in fixing, though I did find that missing files will cause this error too.

Missing files should not cause this, but you may never know. You can choose 'Export as Catalog' from the menu, and you can right-click on a folder or collection and choose to export just that one folder or collection as a catalog. Include the 'negative files', because those are your originals.

I am also have problems. this is definitely a BUG in lightroom. there are too many people have a problem. If LR created the catalog, it should not matter what machine it was on . Else the whole concept of multiple devices and cloud connectivity would not work. or you could not even make a back up of the catalog. does this forum have anyway to interact with Adobe to notify them. ?

For bug reports go to Photoshop Family Customer Community I'm sure Adobe is aware of this, but the problem with trouble-shooting something like this is that you need to reproduce it first. Many people, including myself, have no problems. I use 'Import from Another Catalog' every time I come back from a trip, and it never failed me. That does not mean that there can't be a bug, but it means it's difficult to pinpoint what is going on.

For bug reports go to Photoshop Family Customer Community I'm sure Adobe is aware of this, but the problem with trouble-shooting something like this is that you need to reproduce it first. Many people, including myself, have no problems. I use 'Import from Another Catalog' every time I come back from a trip, and it never failed me. That does not mean that there can't be a bug, but it means it's difficult to pinpoint what is going on.
In support of Johan's reply it is simply impossible for Adobe engineers to test all the different workflows that people have. This bug could be the result of an unusual workflow, and I'm only describing and certainly not being in any way critical here. So they have to rely on someone submitting a bug report that includes a detailed description of the steps leading up to the appearance of the bug. Then they will try to reproduce the bug internally. Only then can they put this bug on their list of bugs to fix (eventually, maybe).

Phil Burton

Ok - will try that. This was my process though...
1. Put images from MacBook to Lacie portable h/drive
2. Reassociate images in LR
3. Copy LR catalog to h/drive
4. Open LR on Mac
5. Go thru import windows...
Can I ask why you are using the Import window? When you open LR on the Mac do you then select to Open Catalog and navigate to the catalog on the h/drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back