• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing avi files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rctneil

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Hello,

I am trying to organise some of the older stacks of files I have sat on my file server and i've come across old videos taken on a number of old cameras. They are AVI files. Logically they need to be imported into Lightroom so they can sit alongside the photos taken on the same day.

I've dragged a selection of them onto the Lightroom icon in my dock and the Import window opens but the videos do not show up.

Can Lightroom support AVI files? It would be really helpful so I can store them where they naturally belong.

I'm able to import .AVI files, but it may be that the data contained in the ones I tried are handled by CODECs on my computer.

See here: Adobe Lightroom supported video file formats

Ah I've just spotted:

• AVI files on macOS: Beginning with Lightroom Classic CC 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (October 2018 releases), you can no longer import new AVI files on macOS. The existing AVI files in your catalog play as expected in Lightroom CC and in a separate window from the Library Loupe view in Lightroom Classic. On Windows, the support for AVI files is still available.
Damn! What a pain. Now i'll have to convert all those videos into a format LR can import. Does anyone know the actual reason avi importing was removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back