• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Importing ~65k images taking forever.. ?

cruiserandmax

Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic 10.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have about 65,000 images that I have always been organized by folders with dates for the name (ie 2003_07_04). It got to the point where I wanted to try real DAM software so I can start searching for old images in more advanced ways (including face recognition).

Since we already subscribe to CC I decided to try Litghtroom Classic. It took about 3 hours to get through the actual image import (generating previews and address lookup), and then got bogged down in the Face Recognition "Indexing" process. It seems to be taking about 1-3 seconds per image in this stage. That means it's likely to take another 48+ hours to finish (this part).

I am running Lightroom on a Windows 10 PC with an Intel i7-4790K, Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, 32GB RAM. The folder containing the tree of original images is on a server. The network/machines are all operating on ethernet at gigabit speed.

I'm not sure if it is this slow mainly because:

a) the original images are all on a network drive
b) my machine and graphics card are on the older side
c) face recognition indexing is inherently slow

I'm hoping not to have to move the original set of image files locally onto the PC running Lightroom as we share them from the server to many macs/PCs/devices. And the server is a headless linux machine so I can't run Lightroom on it..

Is there anything else I may not be considering when trying to get Lightroom setup with my 65k images in a reasonable amount of time?

Thanks for any tips!