• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Imported photos from my computer "loose" instead of in the subfolders

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckropscot

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I had checked "include subfolders" but all the 67,000 photos were imported into the parent folder instead of within the children folders as they are in my computer. What happened? Furthermore, when I tried to then import one of those subfolders, LR imported those photos again plus more photos from other folders. So, now LR has imported some of the same photos twice, and I know LR doesn't like having one photo more than once. Any ideas to fix this?

Include subfolders means that the subfolders are also imported, nothing more. When you import images from a hard drive, you have a chance of only adding them to the catalog, but leaving them in their current location. You need to select ‘ADD’ in the top center of the import dialog. If you select MOVE or COPY, then the images will be moved or copied to a new location. The folder hierarchy of that new location has to be defined in the ‘Location’ panel of the import dialog. It sounds like that is what you selected, but you did not define any new hierarchy.

The easiest solution is probably to start all over again.

I think you are right that I didn't use ADD but used COPY instead. Unfortunately, the process messed up some of the original folders and moved some photos from their correct folders into other folders. That's why I don't want to delete what got moved. So, I plan to move the more than 1TB of photos onto an external hard drive as backup of those 67,000 photos. Then I will start again as you suggested. And I guess I should try to import fewer photos at one time! But the last time I tried importing just one of the subfolders of another folder, LR imported the entire bunch of subfolders in that parent folder, so I must be doing something else "wrong" to cause that. Probably was the "ADD" thing I did wrong then, too. We'll see! Thanks.

If you want to organize photos by date, then there is an Import panel that you could use to set up such a structure.

1622517910016.png

There is nothing sacrosant about a date-based folder structure, but it is a consistent approach to storing your photo files. Depending on your purposes as a photographer, another organization may be equally suitable. As others have said, to organize your date-based filed photos by subject, etc., you can use keywords and/or collections.

Phil Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back