Imported images put in wrong folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred catherwood

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Since replacing the memory (ram) in my Windows 7 - equipped PC, Lightroom 4.4 has been misbehaving. When importing it opens a new folder with the name of the selected destination.The new folder is at the top of the directory tree in the PicturesFolder, located ahead of user name (Fred) , Pictures and subsequent folders (including the intended folder that the photos were meant to be put in). The photos can not be moved between the two folders. A message says" file already exists at this destination". However, the photos can be moved between folders by first moving them to an intermediary folder.

The Pictures Folder looks like this after importing:

02 New folder with imported photos

fred

Pictures

02 intended folder

Thoughts on how to correct this problem will be very much appreciated.

Fred Catherwood

Welcome to the forum. Perhaps a screen shot of the Folder panel will clarify. I think you have possibly two defined top level folders. There are no indented folders in your description and there should be for clarification
Also A screen shot of the Destination panel showing the folder that is highlighted for the import.
You destination panel needs to highlight the Pictures folder possibly like this:
Fred
....Pictures (Highlighted)
With the Organize field sets to "Into one Folder" and The "Into Subfolder" checked and set to "02"

Thanks for the reply Cletus. I had thought about including screen shots in my post but didn't,t know how. Will do so when I learn how.

Cletus
Hope this works.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So far so good. Probably could have put the images side by side.

Please let me know what I could have done differently on these posts.

Fred

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 472
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
OK, Let's look at what's going to happen if you import with the settings that you have now.
The check box labeled "Into Subfolder" is unchecked. So by choosing Organize: "into one folder", the highlighted folder (02) will receive all of the imported images.
If you check the box and make no other changes, a subfolder labeled "2016-01" will be created under the highlighted folder (02) and your images will be imported there.

Let's look at the folder panel example:
There is a folder labeled "02" at the same level as the folder labeled "Fred" It looks to be on the C: drive, probably in the same folder as the one labeled "Fred". It could get created IF none of the folders in the destination panel were highlighted and the check box labeled "Into Subfolder" is checked with a subfolder labeled "02" listed in that field.

If Date named folders are what you want to use to store your images LR will automatically create these for you if you do the following:

1. Leave the check box labeled "Into Subfolder" unchecked.
  2. Highlight the folder labeled "Lightroom Pictures"
  3. In the Organize field choose "by Date"
  4. In the Date Format field that appears, choose "2015/11"

This won't create a folder named LR2015, but it will create a YYYY folder or use one if it already exists as a sub folder of "Lightroom Pictures". It will also create or use an existing subfolder of YYYY for the current month MM. All automatically based upon the creation date in the image file EXIF.

Cletus

I trust that I have followed your instructions correctly: see the following snips for what happened.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

These snips show that, again, the new folder was placed at the top of the Pictures Folder.As well a new folder named 2015 was placed in Pictures Library with another folder inside with the 10 photos imported.

When I next went to Import another set of photos, that new folder appeared in the right hand destination windows as shown in Snips 9 and 11.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry, snip 8 is out of order.

Reloading Lightroom 4.4 may resolve the problem. But I hesitate doing so without being certain of how to do so.

Any further suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again for your prompt actions.

Fred catherwood

Attachments

• Capture 3.JPG
    Capture 3.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 416
  • Capture 4.JPG
    Capture 4.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 392
  • Capture 5.JPG
    Capture 5.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 443
  • Capture 6.JPG
    Capture 6.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 405
  • Capture 8.JPG
    Capture 8.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 421
  • Capture 9.JPG
    Capture 9.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 410
  • Capture 11.JPG
    Capture 11.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 429
Things are getting complicated. The first two screens if part of the same Import destination panel, should have produced exactly the results that I suggested. The Explorer view suggests not.
Let's look a different way. In the Folder panel, the line "2015" just below the line that reads Acer (C:) can be right clicked and you can choose {Show Parent Folder} from the context menu. If you could do the same with the folder "fred" at the same level, we can see if there is a common parent. Also on the Folder panel header, if you click on the (+) on the right of the header line, you can choose {Path from Volume} from that context menu

Do this and post another screen shot. I'm hoping that this will tell me more.

Cletus

Having a bad day. Can't add snips to the last reply from you. When I press the "Insert Image" icon the displayed dialog box when "From Computer" selected does not have the Browse window.

Thanks

Fred

Cletus

First, "2015"

attachment.php

Second, "fred"

attachment.php

Third, "Path from Volume"

attachment.php

Fred

Attachments

• Capture 13.JPG
    Capture 13.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 366
  • Capture 12.JPG
    Capture 12.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 400
  • Capture 14.JPG
    Capture 14.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 404
OK, I think everything is in the right place. There is an issue that sometimes shows up in the Folder panel on Windows machines that imply the same folder twice in the folder panel, I think the solution here is to take the bottom instance of "/Users/fred/Pictures/Lightroom Pictures" and choose the {Show Parent Folder} function from the context menu until it merges with the "Lightroom Pictures" instance under "/users/fred".

Later after everything appears in the right tree position, you can use the function {Hide this Parent} on all folders at a level higher than Pictures to tidy up your Folder panel.

OK, I think everything is in the right place. There is an issue that sometimes shows up in the Folder panel on Windows machines that imply the same folder twice in the folder panel, I think the solution here is to take the bottom instance of "/Users/fred/Pictures/Lightroom Pictures" and choose the {Show Parent Folder} function from the context menu until it merges with the "Lightroom Pictures" instance under "/users/fred".

Later after everything appears in the right tree position, you can use the function {Hide this Parent} on all folders at a level higher than Pictures to tidy up your Folder panel.

Cletus

Thanks again for assistance and patience. Here is what the Folder Panel looks like after performing the first step.

attachment.php

attachment.php

When I right clicked on the bottom Users\Fred\Pictures and selected "Hide this Parent" this message appeared

attachment.php

I must be doing something wrong.

Fred

Attachments

• Capture 20.JPG
    Capture 20.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 390
  • Capture 21.JPG
    Capture 21.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 423
  • Capture 23.JPG
    Capture 23.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 406
I recognize this problem. We've seen this before on a Macintosh a while back. You have two users, 'fred' and 'Fred', on a system that isn't (shouldn't be) case-sensitive.

http://www.lightroomqueen.com/commu...=1175349&highlight=Case-sensitive#post1175349
Johan, thanks for spotting the capitalization issue. You are correct and the solution is described in the link that you posted. I hope that Fred can follow those instructions to get his Folder panel tidied up.

Johan Elzenga and Cletus Lee

Thanks to both of you for replying. And special thanks for Cletus for his patience with my bumbling efforts.

Interestingly I came across Johan's post and Lightroom Forum when I Googled the problem a few days ago. That's when I joined Lightroom Forums. Since there was no sign of two similar names in the Folder Window I didn't think that was the problem. Also, I was a bit (no, a lot) intimidated by the instructions to correct the problem

Before proceeding to attempt Johan's solution, I mention some details:

1. The folder Users\Fred\Pictures\Light..... only appeared yesterday. Previously, when importing, a new folder appeared in the Folder Window above Users\fred.

2. Users\fred (small letters) contains all the Pictures folders and is, as I recall, the arrangement before the problem arose.

3. The only user on the C drive is Fred.

4. Lightroom has a folder called User\fred with a folder named Pictures with numerous subfolders.

5. Lightroom has a second folder named Users\ Fred with one folder named Pictures Lightroom ----, containing a folder named 11.

6. My Pictures has a new folder (within the Lightroom Pictures folder) named 2015 with a subfolder 11 containing the ten "test" pictures imported for the testing.

If none of these details are relevant, I will proceed to follow Johan's instructions. Not being computer savvy, I hesitate to begin without verifying with you that proceeding is okay.

Is the discrepancy between User\Fred on the C Drive and User\fred in Lightroom relevant?

I'll wait for a reply before undertaking Johan's procedure. Will keep you appraised of my progress.

Again, thanks for your advice.

Fred Catherwood

P.S. Cletus. I found a telephone number for your name on Verone St. If that's you may I call when I get the problem resolved?

Is the discrepancy between User\Fred on the C Drive and User\fred in Lightroom relevant?
It is not relevant in that LR does not care which characterization of the file name is used. The Issue is whether the OS is case sensitive. Lightroom needs to be to work with both OS X & Windows. Windows is not case sensitive and so a different case folder name can creep in.
P.S. Cletus. I found a telephone number for your name on Verone St. If that's you may I call when I get the problem resolved?
That number is not a phone number that I use. So send me a Forum PM and I'll reply through that. If a phone call would still be useful, then I'll provide one through that method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back