• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Imported folders into LR but not in catalog...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuzImages

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
11.0 2022
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
I imported a folder from my external hard drive into Lightroom, but it only shows up as Previous Import, not in the catalog itself. How can I get the folder to show up in the catalog? I have the latest update on my MacBook Pro 15 inch.

If the images show in Previous Import, but you do not see the original folder, then most likely you let Lightroom move or copy the images on import, so they are now in a different folder and so only that folder is catalogued. Select one of the images and then choose 'Photo - Go to folder in Library'. That will show you where this image is stored.

Like Johan said. :)

If the images show in Previous Import, but you do not see the original folder, then most likely you let Lightroom move or copy the images on import, so they are now in a different folder and so only that folder is catalogued. Select one of the images and then choose 'Photo - Go to folder in Library'. That will show you where this image is stored.
Thank you for that information. I did as instructed. It takes me to the stored folder on my external hard drive, but no where in my catalogue is it visible.

Thank you for that information. I did as instructed. It takes me to the stored folder on my external hard drive, but no where in my catalogue is it visible.
Are you sure you used the correct option? There is a "Show In Finder" option, which will open a Finder window with the specific folder selected. Then there is the "Go to Folder in Library" option, which will switch LrC to the Library module (if you're not already in that module) with the specific image selected, and the containing folder will be selected and highlighted in LrC's Folders Panel.

I used "Go to Folder in Library". It brings up the photos on the grid that I imported, as you can see at the top of my screen shot, previous import. Those photos are all dated in 2015, which I want in my catalog, but they are not listed in the catalog.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 3.28.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-03 at 3.28.51 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 126
I think you did not use that menu yet, because what you describe is not what can happen. Like Jim said, that menu should select a folder in the folder panel; even if it is a ‘missing’ folder. Otherwise post (a link to) a video that shows this.

I used "Go to Folder in Library". It brings up the photos on the grid that I imported, as you can see at the top of my screen shot, previous import. Those photos are all dated in 2015, which I want in my catalog, but they are not listed in the catalog.
Check the filters you have set. I have an idea I have seen a similar problem, long long ago. The images are in your catalogue, they have to be, if they are in the previous import. It is some kind of display options setting you have wrong. Johan will know what is wrong better than I.

I think I will remove the previous import and start over. I'll see if I can do a better job of finding the images. I've gone through the whole catalog, expanding the folders to view everything and those photos are not in the catalog. I'm not sure what filters you are talking about. I've never used filters in Lightroom before.

So, those photos ARE in the catalogue. You might not be able to display them for some reason but they ARE in the catalogue.

Filters are shown bottom right of the Library module. Suppose you have told LR to display only images with exactly four stars and these images do not have exactly four stars. Then LR will not display them. Or a label (colour by default). Or a flag (Pick, Reject). LR is very much intended to be used with filters and it could be that quite unintentionally you have switched a filter on. There are other ways to cause LR to not display everything.

Perhaps it would be best to rename your preferences file for a short while and see if things work the way you expect.

So, those photos ARE in the catalogue. You might not be able to display them for some reason but they ARE in the catalogue.

Filters are shown bottom right of the Library module. Suppose you have told LR to display only images with exactly four stars and these images do not have exactly four stars. Then LR will not display them. Or a label (colour by default). Or a flag (Pick, Reject). LR is very much intended to be used with filters and it could be that quite unintentionally you have switched a filter on. There are other ways to cause LR to not display everything.

Perhaps it would be best to rename your preferences file for a short while and see if things work the way you expect.
You are missing the point. If you choose the ‘Go to folder in Library’ menu, then Lightroom does just that. It selects the folder in the folder panel where that image resides. The screenshot shows that Lightroom still has the ‘Previous Import’ collection selected however, not any folder in the folder panel. So either that menu was not chosen (which is the most likely explanation), or there is something seriously wrong with that catalog (in which case I would love to see a video of what happens when that menu is chosen).

You are missing the point. If you choose the ‘Go to folder in Library’ menu, then Lightroom does just that. It selects the folder in the folder panel where that image resides. The screenshot shows that Lightroom still has the ‘Previous Import’ collection selected however, not any folder in the folder panel. So either that menu was not chosen (which is the most likely explanation), or there is something seriously wrong with that catalog (in which case I would love to see a video of what happens when that menu is chosen).

I responded to: "I'm not sure what filters you are talking about. I've never used filters in Lightroom before." Another way to control what LR displays is via the meatadata filters, that seemed to be too much information, so I didn't mention it.

I had already posted: "Johan will know what is wrong better than I."

I then suggested get a default preferences, a quick and easy check to see if it fixes the problem. Probably won't but might.

So no, I don't think I missed the point at all.

Actually, if she can see the image in Previous Import, that image isn't being filtered out, so filters won't be the problem.

Actually, if she can see the image in Previous Import, that image isn't being filtered out, so filters won't be the problem.
I could NOT find those photos in my catalog, so I created a new folder under the hierarchy and downloaded those that reside on my XHD. Not a perfect way to do things but at least they are there and I know where to find them.

I could NOT find those photos in my catalog, so I created a new folder under the hierarchy and downloaded those that reside on my XHD. Not a perfect way to do things but at least they are there and I know where to find them.
As we all tried to explain, an image that shows in the ‘Previous Import’ collection is in your catalog by definition. You already found it. If the image wasn’t in the catalog, then it could not be shown in a collection either. We also explained how to find the folder in the catalog. If that menu does not work for you, then record a screen video and show us what happens. If your screenshot shows the situation after you imported the images again, then that screenshot is meaningless.

As we all tried to explain, an image that shows in the ‘Previous Import’ collection is in your catalog by definition. You already found it. If the image wasn’t in the catalog, then it could not be shown in a collection either. We also explained how to find the folder in the catalog. If that menu does not work for you, then record a screen video and show us what happens. If your screenshot shows the situation after you imported the images again, then that screenshot is meaningless.
I have opened and expanded EVERY folder in my catalog. Those previously imports are no where to be found in my catalog. I know you say they are there, but no matter how hard I look, I couldn't find them. I don't understand what you are trying to tell me to do? I found a work-around since no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find those imported previously. I agree if they show up on the grid, they 'SHOULD' be there, but AS I TRIED TO EXPLAIN, I expanded every folder in the catalog and they are not there.

You don't need to open folders in the catalogue. Here's what to do:
1. Ctrl-click on any image in your Previous Import grid view.
2021-11-07 16_29_13-5-2-2-2-v10-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

2. Click on Go to Folder in Library. (see above)
3. That will select a folder in the folder panel with that image in it:
2021-11-07 16_31_26-5-2-2-2-v10-v11 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.png

And Bob's your uncle.

That import is now gone since I imported more since then. I'll just have to work with my work-around. But thank you, everyone for all your suggestions.

I have opened and expanded EVERY folder in my catalog. Those previously imports are no where to be found in my catalog. I know you say they are there, but no matter how hard I look, I couldn't find them. I don't understand what you are trying to tell me to do? I found a work-around since no matter how hard I looked, I couldn't find those imported previously. I agree if they show up on the grid, they 'SHOULD' be there, but AS I TRIED TO EXPLAIN, I expanded every folder in the catalog and they are not there.
It's possible some low level corruption could have caused this, so it would be worth getting to the bottom of it. If you want to rule that possibility out, zip up the catalog and use www.wetransfer.com or Dropbox to send it to me at [email protected] and I'll take a look. Include a link to this thread and a filename for one of the problem photos (or from a recent import that exhibits the same problem.

Agreed, which is behind my slightly indirect answers previously. However, I have seen this (or something very, very similar) happen to me and it was caused by finger trouble (in my case, ie not catalogue corruption). It was so long ago I have no idea what it was I did wrong, nor how I corrected it, I do remember thinking it was a very obvious mistake when I realised what I had done wrong (not at all obvious at the time though!). Victoria has suggested a corruption and that is more likely than not. One mistake I make is that just occasionally, I manage to end up with an image on the wrong drive. I don't know how it gets there, a sort of mis-click and drag possibly, but I know something is wrong when I find images not on the right drive. That almost fits the OP's problem, I can expand every folder on the 'correct' drive and the image won't be there. But if I look further up, well, what do you know? There they are. Wrong drive. I don't use it, but presumably if I went to 'show all photos' (in Catalogue), that would be one way of proving that kind of a problem.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back