• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Just the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes. If you use a custom monitor profile on macOS, note that the Classic performance bug is not yet fixed.

Import (with profile) from Synced Imported Photos

Lightroom Version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
  2. iOS
Hi there,
Long time reader, first time posting.
Like many, I use Lightroom Classic to manage a central source of all photos, but also am embedded into the Apple eco system and a happy snapper on the phone. I feel that I have a workflow that suits me surrounded but there is just one last bit missing.

Some background points of note:
  • I'm a Mac user
  • Normally I import my photos into custom folders based on date (down to the day) and also rename the files (I'd like to continue this process for all photos)
  • I have optimised storage turned on for my iOS devices (so I can't assume a cable connected photo import will have the full image)
  • I don't really want to clear the iOS photos when I import as I still sometime consume from there.
  • I just have the 20Gb storage plan

Workflow so far:
  • I plan to do the once-off Mac photos import to grab the backlog of photos (Mac photos app has full size versions)
  • I have setup Lightroom for iOS to automatically Add new photos from my iOS camera roll to a catalogue
  • Full size images will appear within Imported Photos in Lightroom Classic

Sounds ok so far, right?
Now I'd like to move them to my local folders, removing them from the sync collection
I know I can just drag them but I'd really like to apply my import profile rather than having to drag manually to each appropriate date folder

Best option I can see so far is to copy the long named folder out of Mobile Downloads.Irdata and import from that, then delete photos from the Imported photos collection
Any ideas on a better way? If I just moved the files to a temp local folder within Lightroom, is there a way of applying that import profile to a folder?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Lee

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I'm not sure what you mean by "import profile", though I assume you mean "import preset"? In which case, no you can't apply that in the syncing process. What you can do is specify your preferred sync download folder and location (instead of the default), AND you can choose to have the synced images put into one of the standard Classic date-based folder schemes (Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab). I use the same date-based folder scheme for both my normal imports and my sync downloads so that all my images, regardless of origin, are stored in the one set of folders.

I'm not sure what you mean by "import profile", though I assume you mean "import preset"? In which case, no you can't apply that in the syncing process. What you can do is specify your preferred sync download folder and location (instead of the default), AND you can choose to have the synced images put into one of the standard Classic date-based folder schemes (Preferences>Lightroom Sync tab). I use the same date-based folder scheme for both my normal imports and my sync downloads so that all my images, regardless of origin, are stored in the one set of folders.
Hi Jim, Yes you were correct sorry, I did mean preset. I just tried it and it worked a charm - I can live without the file rename. This is brilliant - you just rocked my world - many thanks.
Lee

Also, I've just realised that after doing this, when I plug the phone into my Mac and look at performing an Import - It does see the ones that I've synced this way as duplicates. This is a real bonus as I've selected not to auto-add videos to the Lightroom sync but can do it this way without having to manually uncheck the photos (if I'm quick enough before the video file is "optimised" that is).
Ta
Lee