• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Import with one-off settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linwood Ferguson

Linwood Ferguson
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Windows 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): LR 7.1

So this is a minor but annoying issue...

I do imports the same way -- same target folder (except once a year I go to a new one), same renaming preset, same presets applied for develop and metadata, etc.

Except, of course, occasionally when I do not, and do something else. Very occasionally.

Invariably I either forget to put the defaults back the subsequent time, or I put them all back but one, or (as happened last night) I have no idea why putting them back did not put them all back, something weird happened.

What I really want to do is a "one off, do not remember" import. Kind of like synchronize does.

Am I missing a check box or click or shortcut that might allow that?

When I think about it, I sometimes just do it with synchronize, manually set up the folder and move things, but that is a pain since it requires so many separate steps as opposed to just wanting to leave a few out (say a different target folder but still do everything else).

An alternative to a "one off" would be to have multiple "Import presets" that remember all the settings during an import. But I think I would have noticed such a thing.

Anyone got any good tricks for a "one off" import, that doesn't remember the changes you made?

The simplest method seems to me to have a single import preset (with your usual import settings) and then do the 'one off' by changing some things after you've chosen the import preset. Next time, all you need to remember is to (always) select your import preset when you import (the default is unfortunately 'None').

ok, I'm feeling really blind now... are you saying there is such a thing as an import preset?

That's what I want, but I am unaware of anything like that, and right now staring and staring at the import dialog screen (the full one) and see nothing like that?

Linwood, bottom centre of the Import screen:

Screenshot_15_02_2018__17_09.png

That's a develop preset which you add in the Apply During Import box.....we're talking about a preset that sets all the import parameters (Import Type, File Handling options, Rename template, Destination folder and options, Metadata and Develop Preset, etc.). Just about the only thing you can't set is the Import Source.

Absolutely incredible. I stared all around that screen repeatedly and overlooked that black on black as it seemed to blend into the page behind it where I had some other search bar. I was looking only at the lighter grey.

That's exactly what I wanted. I never even knew it existed. Thank you @JohanElzenga and @Jim Wilde for pointing out the obvious that I was blind to.

Either that, or it wasn't there and you broke into my computer and added it just to embarrass me. Hmm... maybe... :eek2:

Explore the area of your Import Screen around the area highlighted by the yellow box below. Some idiot in Adobe (I do not mind mincing my words) put the Import Preset function at the very bottom of the screen.

This is completely invisible to most people.

upload_2018-2-15_17-18-0.png

Secondly, individuals naturally traverse down the right hand set of import panels, where they come across Develop Preset and Metadata Presets....so it is natural to assume that the config of all import presets is there. They never make it to the bottom panel.

There are some other glaring examples of crazy GUI design, but this most be close to the worst.

The Import Process seriously lacks some basic features ...but I have described those before.

Either that, or it wasn't there and you broke into my computer and added it just to embarrass me. Hmm... maybe... :eek2:
It's a Shroedinfeature. :)

@Gnits you make me feel better with the "invisible to most people".

It's a Shroedinfeature. :)

I've got to remember that name.

Is remembering something the same as observing it? Does my forgetting it affect the outcome?

@Gnits you make me feel better with the "invisible to most people".

I am only happy to pass on the info. I wish I had a dollar for every time I have shown this to people. This one annoys me every time I come across a scenario where people cannot take advantage of this labour saving feature...

That's a develop preset which you add in the Apply During Import box.....we're talking about a preset that sets all the import parameters (Import Type, File Handling options, Rename template, Destination folder and options, Metadata and Develop Preset, etc.). Just about the only thing you can't set is the Import Source.

Copy. You can use both import and referenced develop presets to do 99% of the work to import and do basic adjustments that you will likely do on the majority of your images. Don't tackle hundreds of images on a one-by-one basis.

I have import presets for all three cameras and my drone, plus a generic one that goes to a special one off folder. For the non-generic ones, the preset included a develop preset too. Really simplified my import process. I have a buddy that manually pulls the RAW files onto his hard drive in the folder he manually creates. Then fires up LR and imports with the Add option, then does standard edits. He acknowledges that my method is faster and more consistent, but doesn't want to change. It works for him and that's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back