• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import - stalled or ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrJohan

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
After having selected a number of folders (together containing some 35000 images) residing on a NAS, for Copy and Import to another folder on the same NAS, Lightroom tells me that it is "Importing files ...", Number of "Current import" remains at zero, and the progress bar doesn't move and there is no "Cancel" option in the rightmost pane. See attached screenshot.

Four hours later, nothing has changed. The Task Manager tells me that LrC uses ~1% CPU and ~4.5 GB Memory (slowly increasing).

Yesterday I did a similar Copy and Import, although only ~5000 images. No problem, except somewhat timeconsuming, more than half an hour.

What can be going on?

Attachments

• Lrc_capture.png
    Lrc_capture.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 180
That's an enormous amount of work to do, all over your network. Is there a reason that you're doing a Copy rather than an Add?

There is a cancel button. It's the little 'x' on the right-hand end of the progress bar in the upper left of your window. Click it, and things will stop, although it might take a while to unwind everything.

This sounds like a situation in which rebooting/power-cycling all the hardware (including the network gear) might be appropriate. Things shouldn't stall like that, but sometimes giving the entire stack a lobotomy is the most expedient way to get work done.

All images that I wanted to import are located in a 'special' archive containing a lot of documents and still images as well as videos not to be 'contaminated' by my future Photoshop-edits.

All in all, the import took more than six days. I had to 'rerun' the import two times. The first import concluded after two days with a message telling me that a few hundred images had error of different kinds. Some 11000 images were imported. Then I temporarily moved erroneous files to another folder and restarted the import again from the same set of source folders as in the previous import. Almost two days later I got new information regarding faulty files as well as some 18000 newly imported images. Again, I moved those files to the same temporary folder so as not to disturb the next import. The third import from the same source folders took almost 30 hours to finish, this time with no error message. Adding the number of imported files to the number of erroneous files gave me almost 55000, as I had not counted neither PDFs, nor videos nor many 'miscellaneous' image format files before starting the first import.

So, a strange experience for me and maybe also for LrC.

One related question. Is it 'safe' to start the import before LrC has 'went through' all images and decided which images are 'new'? (Such an investigation and preview-populating can take a very long time for many images residing on a NAS)

I would suggest do the copy using your operating system then use add to import. The import and building of the previews in itself is a daunting task for that volume of images. Make sure there is plenty of free disk space on the disk that is being written to.

Having ~110000 files distributed into ~4500 folders or subfolders where images are mixed with other types of files in many/most folders, makes such a copying operation very. very difficult as far as my knowledge tells me. Is there a good method or tool that can facilitate the copying of images only into another equivalent hierarchy of folders (to be used if I have do a similar import again)?

When is it safe to start the actual import when LrC has to investigate and show previews in such a time-consuming task?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back