• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

glospete

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
When I go to import photos into LR I am faced with a number of sources to choose from:
  • Macintosh HD
  • G-Tech Thunderbolt
  • documents
  • photo
  • etc
But I am also faced with a number of sources such as displayed on the attachment such as:
  • Macintosh HD-Data@snap plus a series of digits
I want to remove these sources as they clutter my import source list but cannot see how to Delete them. Can anybody point me in the right direction please?
Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 12.09.15 pm.png

These are system snapshots that appear as mounted volumes. I don’t see these but there is nothing in LrC that you can do to hide these. I suspect that this is a MacOS preference setting but I don’t know what it might be

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is no MacOS system preference setting that can make Lightroom hide it. I believe it is a Lightroom issue that is caused by Lightroom using its own code to display volumes (probably because Lightroom needs to be multi-platform). AFAIK Adobe is looking into it, but it is harmless. Click on 'Select a source' at the very top to get a more useful list of recently used folders.

There is no MacOS system preference setting that can make Lightroom hide it. I believe it is a Lightroom issue that is caused by Lightroom using its own code to display volumes (probably because Lightroom needs to be multi-platform)
It has never appeared on the source panel of my import dialog. I just checked with release V9.4. A little research suggests that I do not have local Snapshots "The Time Machine backup disk might not always be available - in such cases, Time Machine is storing backups as 'local snapshots'. These allow users access to backups from external backup drives even when they are disconnected."
Also: "Firstly, note that local snapshots are created only if you are using an Apple laptop such as a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro. Desktop computers such as iMac, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro do not have this feature."
My suggestion is to use TimeMachine with a dedicated EHD and remove any existing snapshots,
https://blog.pcrisk.com/mac/12476-how-to-delete-time-machine-snapshots-on-your-macDo these Snapshot volumes appear in the Disk Utility?

Thank you Cletus and Johan. Just to clarify a few points from Cletus.
  • "Firstly, note that local snapshots are created only if you are using an Apple laptop such as a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro. Desktop computers such as iMac, Mac Mini, and Mac Pro do not have this feature." Hmm. My machine is a 2012 iMac and it definitely creates snapshots!
  • "My suggestion is to use TimeMachine with a dedicated EHD and remove any existing snapshots". I'm not sure what EHD is but if it is an External Hard Drive then I'm using one as my Time Machine backs up to a Time Capsule.
  • These Snapshots do not appear in Disk Utility
I guess I'll live with the issue and follow Johan's advice and click on Select A Source rather than using the list.
Thanks for the help guys.

I think it is safe to follow the instructions on How to delete snapshots son a Mac although this is where the suggestion that this only occurs on a laptop came from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately the instructions for deleting snapshots does not apply to later Mac OS including Catalina (see the first comment at the bottom) and when I tried it failed as it said the various instructions were not recognised. Thanks anyway.

There was a similar thread recently and I replied in it. I've seen this occasionally on my Catalina based mac, but not my Mojave one. I believe it went away with a system power off and restart, but it have been coincidence. Anyway, I see it sometimes, but not consistently. It also has show dmg mounts too.

I have also seen it once or twice, but it is not consistent. The snapshots can be Time Machine related, and I have seen Carbon Copy Cloner snapshots, but I have never seen that many and I just ignore them if I do see them.

I have switched off snapshots on Carbon Copy, restarted my computer and now I only have 4 entries with Data@snap so definitely progress! I can live with this so thanks again for all your help, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back