IMPORT SETTINGS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rwentzel

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I currently import from my sd card to my laptop hard drive and back up to an external drive once a week. I set Build Previews to minimal and do not check Build Smart Previews. I have been told it is better to set Build Previews to 1 : 1 and to create Smart previews, What are the benefits of doing this.?

Minimal previews will make the import slightly faster, but Lightroom will be slower when you are viewing your images, because it needs standard-sized previews for that. Building 1:1 previews is not that useful in my opinion, because they need to be re-rendered when you've edited the image. These previews are only needed when you zoom in to 100%.

Smart previews are only interesting if you want to be able to edit images while the originals are offline. Lightoom CC can also use them to speed up normal editing, but Lightroom 6 does not have this feature.

BTW, your personal info says you are using 6.0. If that is true, why don't you update to 6.10?

Minimal previews will make the import slightly faster, but Lightroom will be slower when you are viewing your images, because it needs standard-sized previews for that. Building 1:1 previews is not that useful in my opinion, because they need to be re-rendered when you've edited the image. These previews are only needed when you zoom in to 100%.

Smart previews are only interesting if you want to be able to edit images while the originals are offline. Lightoom CC can also use them to speed up normal editing, but Lightroom 6 does not have this feature.

BTW, your personal info says you are using 6.0. If that is true, why don't you update to 6.10?

Thanks Johan.

Think I will stay with my settings, I am happy with them.

I am using 6.9, have just updated my profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back