• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • The February 2020 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic has a brand new Defaults system, the ability to set a specific monitor for the secondary window and PSB format support. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has the ability to import presets on Android, DNG export and Split View support on iPadOS. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.

Import question

brewer

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
I import from my SD card into LR to C:/users/ etc etc so LR can find the photos. I also have an external HD that I want to make a second copy to (same file structure as my catalog that I import to) Does that sound like I am on the right track? My computer gets backed up every time I am using it.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
"Make a second copy to..." in the import dialog copies every image imported into an import date derived folder. This is not the same structure of your folder created during import. The purpose of the "Make a second copy to..." part of the import dialog is so that you will immediately have two copies of the images imported and can safely delete the content of the card'. When your system backup app runs next, it will create a backup of the images and folder structure created by Lightroom. At that time you can if you will delete the "Make a second copy to..." file knowing that your image data is safely backed up with a dedicated backup app. There is nothing that can replace a system backup app for data security.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
I import from my SD card into LR to C:/users/ etc etc so LR can find the photos. I also have an external HD that I want to make a second copy to (same file structure as my catalog that I import to) Does that sound like I am on the right track? My computer gets backed up every time I am using it.
There are file sync programs, many of which are free, that can create an identical copy of your folder and file structure for whatever folders that you designate. This will allow you another copy of your images that will be helpful if something should happen to the original files or your machine backup.

--Ken