Status
Not open for further replies.

mgolin

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
1.x
Importing from a card reader where the camera puts the photos for each month in a separate folder. Nice for me since I download every month. LR3 doesn't seem to let me drill down to the folder level. Seeing the images is nice, but simply marking all images in a folder was easier. I'll certainly survive this indignity, but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something simple.

I find it easier to just copy from the card reader to where I want the photos on the hard drive and then let LR import w/o moving.

Importing from a card reader where the camera puts the photos for each month in a separate folder.
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here. The camera card is organised with the images in folders in a DCIM folder. Are you copying the contents of the card to the computer before you import into LR? If so it is not the camera that is doing the "puts the photos for each month in a separate folder". It is the software used to copy the images off the card.

With LR you do not need any intermediate software to copy image files from the card. LR will do this automatically if you let it be the "autoplay" agent for whenever a card is inserted into a card reader or a camera connection is detected.

My preference is to use one of the default 'Date named' folder schemes to let LR copy images to the designated pictures folder. I also let LR make a temporary backup of the card contents so that I have two copies of the images and can erase the card. before my system backups can make an additional copy. Even with a 16GB card, I could never leave images on the card for more than a few days since I fill up a card with about 4'' images in at most two to three days time.

Cleetus - Some cameras do make multiple folders on the card, in camera, based on date of capture. I believe that is what the OP is asking about.

Marty, just to clarify, do you mean your camera will store images in date-named folders on the memory card?

I see that this is possible, at least on a K7, on page 267, here in the K7 manual, http://www.pentaximaging.com/images/temp/633911'9412222249881268K7_MANUAL_FINAL_1'14'9.pdf (I see in your profile, that you shoot Pentax, so I just looked up what looked like a reasonably high-end prosumer Pentax.)

I don't think my camera will write files that way, (in fact, it would just annoy me, but if you like it, fine :) ), so I can't really comment on whether Lr3 changed that methodology in import. And I don't think I can test it.

Oops, I see Bruce is on the case as well.....

[quote author=Bruce J link=topic=1'294.msg69694#msg69694 date=1278184537]
Cleetus - Some cameras do make multiple folders on the card, in camera, based on date of capture. I believe that is what the OP is asking about.
[/quote]I have a Pentax and unless Pentax has a file organisation on the OP's camera that is different from the K1D and the K2'D, I know exactly what the card looks like on the Op's camera card which is why I asked the question. The Folder organisation on the camera card is irrelavent in LR2 or LR3 unless the OP is pre-importing the images to the PC before importing to LR.
The folder organisation on my camera card is
DCIM
1''_'629
1'1_'7'1
If I shoot more than 1'' photos in a day, I get multiple folders names like 1''_'629, 1'1_'629 etc.

But LR does not need this since it will display the image thumbnails on the import panel in date shot order regardless of how they are organised on the card.

I see we're writing at cross-purposes. Since I don't shoot Pentax, I'll bow out. Cheers,

Pick the from other source and select your memory card see pic1, I think LR recognise the struture of the memory card and assumes that you want to import all pictures from it. So for me and a canon it always goes to o:\dcim and shows all the pics.

The next option is to make sure that you do not have the tick for scan all subdirectories as this will negate the good work we did above see pic 2

Finally the contents of the folder and the directory you are in top left in pic 3

Thank you all for your effort.

I did not mention that this issue is only from my Canon P&S, thinking that irrelevant. (I usually confuse things by giving too much information.)

I think "unknown" figured it out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back