• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Import problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

poaceae

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Legacy 6.13, LR 3.2. and Classic 9.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I have been using LR 6.16 with no problem till today. It now will not let me import raw or Jpeg files because it stated that it could not write on the files. I downloaded LR classic cloud base 9.2 release and have the same problem. Downloaded LR CC 3.2 and it lets me load and edit both raw and jpeg files but this format. Is there some way I can get my images to load in the classic version (either subscription or legacy) ? Thanks for any advice.

Check the destination folder. It sounds like Lightroom does not have permissions to write to this folder. This could happen if you changed the folder (possibly by mistake) and now try to write to the root of the disk.

Found that I needed to change the import header from COPY to ADD . Wish I had discovered that before I signed uup for the CC version.

No, that is not the answer. ADD means that the images stay where they are, and are only added to the catalog (like you add a friend to an address book). COPY means that the images are not only added to the catalog, but also copied to a different location. Whether you can use ADD depends on the current location. You do not want to use ADD if the current location is not a hard drive, but something like a memory card of USB thumbdrive.

Your problem is not that you chose COPY, but that you chose the wrong destination for that copy. A destination that Lightroom has no permission to write to. The destination is in the right panel of the import dialog. Make sure that destination is within your user directory (your 'home folder') or that it is an external hard drive, not somewhere else on the internal hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back