• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am having a problem importing an image into LR. I have had a photograph scanned onto a pen drive and I have downloaded it into a folder in 'My Pictures'. The scanned image was also e mailed to my computer. It was scanned at 300dpi as a TIFF file. I always transfer my photographs into folders in 'My Pictures' then import into LR. I have never had any issues doing this way. I am unable to download this image successfully into LR all I get is 'preview unable for this file'.

Can anyone offer a remedy please.

Are you able to import it anyway? Perhaps there is no embedded preview to show.

Hi
I've tried to import it, no joy. Message reads; 'File appears to be unsupported or damaged'.

It is possible that the Scanner is producing non standard TIFF files. Can you open any copy of the file using another photos app. If you can open it successfully in another app, then in that app, save the file as a new file with a new name. You can save it in any file format supported by Lightroom Classic even as another TIFF.
Then see if you can import the new file into Lightroom.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How large is the file? An image scanned at 300 ppi and saved as TIFF is easily tens of megabytes, depending on the size of the original of course. That is something you do not email that easily. So it’s possible this is not a genuine TIFF, but perhaps a jpeg with the wrong file extension.

The file is 1.51mb, its dimensions are 4960 x 3507. Would it be an advantage if I returned to the scanner source and have the photograph saved as a jpeg file? The print is 16" x 12", too big for my scanner here hence the only scanner I could source locally that would scan that size of print was my local library. I could always return there for another go.

A TIFF file with that many pixels would be around 50 megabytes, maybe slightly less if compressed. If it is a TIFF, it's definitely incomplete. If it's a medium-quality JPEG, it could be 1.5 megabytes. Johan is right. You could try just changing the extension to JPG and see if LRC can import it then.

A TIFF file with that many pixels would be around 50 megabytes, maybe slightly less if compressed. If it is a TIFF, it's definitely incomplete. If it's a medium-quality JPEG, it could be 1.5 megabytes. Johan is right. You could try just changing the extension to JPG and see if LRC can import it then.

You can not simply rename the extension to JPEG. You need to open the image in an app that can export the image AS A JPEG.

You can not simply rename the extension to JPEG. You need to open the image in an app that can export the image AS A JPEG.
Cletus, please read my post. I suggested that the file may be a JPEG with an incorrect extension. To correct this, you should simply change the extension to the correct one. So if the file is indeed a jpeg, then changing the extension to JPEG is what is needed.

Cletus, please read my post. I suggested that the file may be a JPEG with an incorrect extension. To correct this, you should simply change the extension to the correct one. So if the file is indeed a jpeg, then changing the extension to JPEG is what is needed.

If the scanning software assigned the TIFF extension, it is unlikely to be a JPEG.

Can I thank you for trying to help me with this image. You people are not called Guru's for nothing!
I thought the easiest way was to have the photograph re-scanned as Jpeg, it is now safely in Lightroom.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back