• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Import Photos into my Catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgf322

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I am trying to import photos.
1. Some photos appear as gray slabs, not darkened photos, just gray rectangles with checkmarks.
2. Importing starts then stops, the progress bar just sits there and does nothing.
3. What is imported is incomplete; I see them in Finder but not in the catalog.
4. Do the .mp4 files affect or stop importing?
Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forums!

What checkmarks appear?
Are you importing from a connected camera? SD card?
Have you tried copying them to the local disk then importing?

I am not sure if I am describing correctly. The checkmarks are in the upper left corner of each gray slab. I am importing from Finder folder. I already copied from camera to iMac.
Steps:
1. Take pictures.
2. Load into iMac from camera using Canon software.
3. Move to appropriate labled folder using Finder.
4. I then want to "Import" or"Sychronize" them in to Lightroom Catalog. Is one better? It is here where everything stops and I am having problems.

The Lightroom just sits there and there is no progress icon to inform me that it is active or stalled. Sorry if I am not describing it correctly.
My Lightroom Catalog: Lightroom Catalog.lrcat is 376 MB, so it is not dead and the "Develop" tab works and I can adjust photos nicely.
1. Is it working and I just need to wait?
2. What is reason for gray slabs instead of previews of the photos which appear when things are working properly?

Thank you for your patience and assistance. I really need this to make sure the pictures of my art are the best quality I can achieve.
Gary Frisk
https://www.garyfriskart.com

Some discussion topics for you to consider-

Grey thumbnails may be a Graphics card profile problem-
Gray blocks in Library but not in the Develop bar. Both preview pane is gray blocks as well. | Photoshop Family Customer Community

A frequent forum question with Catalina is that file Destinations do not have full Read/Write Permissions-
MAC CATALINA PERMISSIONS

Also you are risking future problems running Lr6 on Catalina. eg. You will never be able to re-install Lr6, as the installer is 32bit and Catalina is exclusively 64bit.
6.14 and Catalina OPTIONS

So I am doomed? I paid $165 for LR 6. it appears to be a 32 / 64 bit problem? And neither Apple or Adobe cares?

"doomed?" Well Lr 6 is now 5 years old since first release, and in computer years that is ancient. Adobe (and many other companies) would not be updating software that has passed 'end-of-life'. Even now Adobe only offer support for the last two versions- ie. Lr9 Lr8.
I believe that Apple have been advising Mac users for some time that Catalina will not run 32bit software.
There are others running Lr6 on Catalina, so keep researching the forums for advice.
My best suggestion would be to update the Graphic Drivers. (but I am a Windows user- so not the Mac geek:))

Well, as I said I just recently purchased it i believe in 2019. That is what I meant. I was not aware of the implications thinking that it should be fine.

My best suggestion would be to update the Graphic Drivers. (but I am a Windows user- so not the Mac geek:))
A Mac geek would tell you that there is no such thing as updating graphic drivers in MacOS. :) They are part of the OS itself, so you cannot update them separately and you won’t find any updaters on the website of the manufacturer.

Thanks Johan. Another lesson learned! (I will keep out of Mac discussions :thumbsup: )

sgf32- Still searching for an answer-
"4. Do the .mp4 files affect or stop importing? "
It has been reported in a few past forum threads. Try separating the video files from photo files in folders using Finder before importing photos.
Can you show a screen-clip of the Import window with the "grey slab" previews, before you hit the last Import button. Show the source and Destination panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back