• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Photos from iPhone wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgphotography

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10.1.1 [ 202101041610-8c69aa4e ]
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
  2. iOS
I've been using LR since the very first version and shooting with an iPhone seriously for 7 years. I'm looking for a new workflow and can use some advice.

My workflow has been to import images (shooting RAW now for 4 years) via a USB connection via the import dialogue and use a preset to rename the files on import. I then delete images off my phone (I have other backup options and don't need the redundancy). From there after editing if I want to post to Instagram I export out a screen res version to a folder in iCloud where I keep all my best work to share. However since I can't post from iCloud to IG I have to then save an image to my Photos on my phone and share from there. This has worked fine for me for years and it is a process I am comfortable with.

Now since yesterday I have a new issue: I purchased a wireless charger for my iPhone. Charging is wonderfully easy but now I don't have the iPhone showing up in the import window in LR since LR doesn't see the iPhone. So I'm wondering about wireless import options that will give me control over what folders the images end up in and renaming options. Bluetooth? Wifi?

Yesterday I played around with allowing LR Mobile to import my Photos on my phone and then sync back down to my LR Classic desktop. It's not terrible but I have to find the files in possibly differently dated folders and then rename them. Also any photo I export out to iCloud and then save to Photos to put on IG ends up syncing back to my Mac! Yikes.

Hoping someone here can suggest a simple way of doing what I've been doing for years but wirelessly and without the resultant redundancy. FYI: I live in a rural area and my internet speeds are very slow which would effect the speed of transferring a lot of photos which happens frequently.

Thank you!

Hoping someone here can suggest a simple way of doing what I've been doing for years but wirelessly and without the resultant redundancy. FYI: I live in a rural area and my internet speeds are very slow which would effect the speed of transferring a lot of photos which happens frequently.

Thank you!
Have you tried using Lightroom on the phone and syncing Lightroom (cloudy) to Lightroom Classic on the computer?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, as I stated in my question (3rd paragraph).

I think you are not handling it correctly. You can set the sync up to a single folder on the computer. But importing into a date named folder scheme is better. Organization is managed in Collection not folders.
I don’t understand the resyncing issue. It does not happen for me. Bu then I don’t rename original images files ever.

If you want to simplify your workflow. Lightroom and Lightroom Classic sync could not be simpler.

Also I don’t understand the wireless charging issue you can still plug in the Lightning cable to the PC.

I think you are not handling it correctly. You can set the sync up to a single folder on the computer. But importing into a date named folder scheme is better. Organization is managed in Collection not folders.
I don’t understand the resyncing issue. It does not happen for me. Bu then I don’t rename original images files ever.

If you want to simplify your workflow. Lightroom and Lightroom Classic sync could not be simpler.

Also I don’t understand the wireless charging issue you can still plug in the Lightning cable to the PC.

Yes, you are right about me not handling it correctly :). Switching from years of a workflow to another is always challenging.

I don't ever use LR Mobile for anything since I never edit on my phone - editing always happens on my iMac. Then I upload a screen res version to a folder in iCloud so that it is always there for me to use. When I want to share a photo from that folder to IG though I have to copy it to Photos on my iPhone to post to IG. This extra step has always been a necessary evil but now, since as you noticed, the file is renamed to my naming convention, when it gets added to LR Mobile it ends up being synced back to my desktop - ugh.

As for the cable I'd prefer to have less stuff on my desktop and not keep both chargers/stands. So I'd just like a way to get photos to my desktop and into LR wirelessly. Otherwise I could just keep doing what I'm doing! Just trying to see if I can reinvent a new wireless way of working that won't add too many complications. (Also should add that there are problems known issues/problems with importing via cable to LR RAW files that I'm tired of).

You said to simplify my workflow I could just use LR desktop + mobile. A few questions:
- How does organization work in collections? I have only this collection set that is empty:

Screen Shot 2021-01-25 at 11.42.20 AM.png

- I can only post to IG from Photos so if I am also syncing newly shot work from there to LR mobile in order to get it to LR desktop then I am forever in a loop of images coming back.

Or I just stick with two charger (one with a cable) on my desktop and problem solved! :p

I’ve missed something. What is IG?
There are two things that you can do with Lightroom Mobile. One is to automatically sync from the camera roll to an album in Lightroom Mobile. This will sync to the same named Collection in LrC.
The other thing that you can do on the iPhone is use the Lightroom Mobile camera access. Then you bypass the Photos app and iCloud.
You don’t need to do any editing in Lightroom Mobile, it is just the vehicle to get images off the phone and into the Lightroom Classic catalog.

(FWIW, I use my iPadPro as a front end and import images files from my camera card into Lightroom Mobile. If I have a fast internet connection, the images are in my catalog on my Mac by the time I return home. )

There is an easy way, by using AirDrop. Make sure your computer is awake and has WiFi turned on, and you have WiFi on, on your phone. When you select the images you want to send on the phone, look for the little "send" icon under the image (s) that looks like a box with an arrow pointing up. On my phone, the AirDrop icon is the first one on the right hand side, and you'll also see an icon for your computer. You can click on either one - clicking on the icon for your computer sends it directly, and clicking on AirDrop takes you to a page that also has the computer icon; extra step, same result. It's very fast. The photos typically end up in your Downloads folder, and you can re-name them there.

If you want to hook up a USB cable, and you can't get Image Capture to work, there are several apps out there to connect your phone to your computer. I use PhoneView.

There is an easy way, by using AirDrop. Make sure your computer is awake and has WiFi turned on, and you have WiFi on, on your phone. When you select the images you want to send on the phone, look for the little "send" icon under the image (s) that looks like a box with an arrow pointing up. On my phone, the AirDrop icon is the first one on the right hand side, and you'll also see an icon for your computer. You can click on either one - clicking on the icon for your computer sends it directly, and clicking on AirDrop takes you to a page that also has the computer icon; extra step, same result. It's very fast. The photos typically end up in your Downloads folder, and you can re-name them there.

If you want to hook up a USB cable, and you can't get Image Capture to work, there are several apps out there to connect your phone to your computer. I use PhoneView.

I think this is the best answer as it does provide a direct solution to the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back