Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
3.x
Lightroom Version Number
v3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Would like to use latest version. I have 50k JPEGs on my 10 yr old v3.6.
Tried a trial of the latest version. Tried to import from my v3.6 but was unable to find my LR to import from.
Canceled trial of latest and back to using v3.6.
Is importing from the old version I'm using, to the latest, possible?

Would like to use latest version. I have 50k JPEGs on my 10 yr old v3.6.
Tried a trial of the latest version. Tried to import from my v3.6 but was unable to find my LR to import from.
Canceled trial of latest and back to using v3.6.
Is importing from the old version I'm using, to the latest, possible?

When you update to Lightroom Classic, the latest version is v10X. Once you have Lightroom Classic installed, you open your LRv3 catalog file and Lightroom Classic will walk you through the steps to read your old catalog file and create a v10 catalog file in the current structure.

The cloud based version of Lightroom also comes with the LrC plan but limited to 20GB of cloud storage. You can also purchase the cloud based version without LrC and get 1TB of cloud storage. Lightroom for the cloud has an option to migrate your old Lightroom stand alone catalog to the cloud. With that all of your files are stored in the cloud. You probably don’t want that if you want to retain control over how your image files are stored.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect you might have installed the cloud version, which can't import LR3 catalogs without first updating them to a current format (which is possible to do with a trial). You need to figure out which Lightroom version you want to use, before you move forward. Lightroom Classic is the newer version of Lightroom 3, as Clee said.

I suspect you might have installed the cloud version, which can't import LR3 catalogs without first updating them to a current format (which is possible to do with a trial). You need to figure out which Lightroom version you want to use, before you move forward. Lightroom Classic is the newer version of Lightroom 3, as Clee said.
Victoria, I hope you dont mind me jumping in here with a related (?) question. I am planning to purchase as macbook but am waiting for a bit to see if the newer M2 chips are part of the new line supposedly available in May. Until then, I need to decide what direction i want to go in terms of LR. I don't think I want a totally cloud based system so is "Classic" the alternative to v6.9 which i'm using now? I know at some point, newer computers wont support 6.9 and while money is always an issue, I might not have a choice other than jumping in to the 21st century. So as it stands, which version has the most flexibility in terms of storage and access?

I don't think I want a totally cloud based system so is "Classic" the alternative to v6.9 which i'm using now?
Short answer is yes. Classic was the next step on from Lr6, just as 6 was from 5, etc. Adobe no longer use numbering in the name, but it's in the version - so current version is 10.2.

Short answer is yes. Classic was the next step on from Lr6, just as 6 was from 5, etc. Adobe no longer use numbering in the name, but it's in the version - so current version is 10.2.
Paul, thank you. Without a crystal ball, is there anything that would lead you, or another member reading this, to think Adobe would not support this version of LR in favor of totally cloud based image storage?

Adobe is making too much money from LR Classic to abandon it in any kind of hurry.

Paul, thank you. Without a crystal ball, is there anything that would lead you, or another member reading this, to think Adobe would not support this version of LR in favor of totally cloud based image storage?
Some had concerns when Adobe first introduced the Cloud version. However, we're a few years on from that, Adobe continue to develop Classic and the two offerings are (generally) aimed at different markets. So, no, in other words!

A problem I had printing a collage on 13x19 paper was solved by Paul.
Solution made sense when I thought it through.

Reading the post above it seems like you would suggest I download the Classic v10.2 (and pay yearly subscription).

Since I'm full up on internal disc space my plan would be to have just one LR (v10.2) on my laptop.
I'm using the Canon software to upload from my Canon 90D. Then download to LR to massage. I know you ( LR queen) said many times that LR is not a photo library, but it happens. So I have 50k JPEGs in the Cannon software and the same JPEGs (most? edited now) in LRv3.6. Looks like they get duplicated on the resident Dell/Microsoft photo software also. Can I move everything (including v3.6 software) onto an external HD and download v10.2 on the laptop? And then upload from the LR on the external HD to the "blank" LR v10.2?

A problem I had printing a collage on 13x19 paper was solved by Paul.
Solution made sense when I thought it through.

Reading the post above it seems like you would suggest I download the Classic v10.2 (and pay yearly subscription).

Since I'm full up on internal disc space my plan would be to have just one LR (v10.2) on my laptop.
I'm using the Canon software to upload from my Canon 90D. Then download to LR to massage. I know you ( LR queen) said many times that LR is not a photo library, but it happens. So I have 50k JPEGs in the Cannon software and the same JPEGs (most? edited now) in LRv3.6. Looks like they get duplicated on the resident Dell/Microsoft photo software also. Can I move everything (including v3.6 software) onto an external HD and download v10.2 on the laptop? And then upload from the LR on the external HD to the "blank" LR v10.2?

First you need to understand the difference in application programs and data. The Canon and the Microsoft photo software are used to process photos (image files) Each app will create a derivative of the original based upon the “massaging” that you do in that software.

Lightroom IS a photo management library. In LR3 and Lr Classic, the library is called a catalog.

You do not need anything on your computer except Lightroom.
Lightroom will upload from your Canon Camera Card to a place of your choosing on your disk drive. This can even be to an external disk drive. If you want to use the Microsoft Photo app to display photos, you can export a derivative image for the Microsoft app to use. BUT anything that you can do in the Microsoft app is available in Lightroom. You can. Uninstall the Canon and Microsoft apps and this will save you a tiny bit of disk space. From your description it sounds like you have a lot of duplication with edited image files from the Canon, Microsoft Photos and Lightroom v3.x. If you remove any duplication from your primary disk, you can free up space by having one original image file that is managed by Lightroom. You can store that one copy of each original on an external disk and still have Lightroom Manage the images.

You can do all of this without upgrading from LR3 to Lightroom Classic. But since LR3 is pretty obsolete, I would recommend getting a Lightroom Classic subscription. Upgrading to Classic and cleaning up your workflow are two separate tasks I’m not sure which order I would recommend doing these tasks or if it matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some had concerns when Adobe first introduced the Cloud version. However, we're a few years on from that, Adobe continue to develop Classic and the two offerings are (generally) aimed at different markets. So, no, in other words!
Thank you. I just want to avoid jumping from a sinking ship to a leaking lifeboat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back